Blink-182 reunites with past band mate, Tom DeLonge, and releases a new single

On the morning of October 11, Blink-182 announced the release of a new single, new tour dates and most excitingly, the return of founding member, Tom DeLonge. It’s been a decade since the band released new music with the past bandmate, and fans have been bouncing off the walls with the excitement of his return to the band.

Of course, the iconic pop-punk band has been releasing and touring after DeLonge’s departure, with Alkaline Trio’s Matt Skiba stepping in to record and tour with the band for albums “California” (2016) and “Nine” (2019). However, fans have been wishing for DeLonge to return to the band since he left in 2015.

Now, the rejoined band is back with a brand new single titled, “EDGING.” It’s reminiscent of old Blink-182, with guitar riffs and pounding drum fills that sound similar to past songs, “The Rock Show” and “Feeling This.” However, this is not to say that the band has resorted to its past sound. If anything, it’s refreshing to know that they still have it in them to come together and create a song that sounds like Blink-182. 

The song was produced by drummer Travis Barker who said in a press release that he “wanted to imagine as a listener what I wanted to experience and at the same time as a band member what we wanted to make and say and most importantly how it would sound production wise in 2022.” It’s the same Blink-182 fans love and adore with a new 2022 sound.

The leading locals are traded off by Tom DeLonge and bassist Mark Hoppus, similar to past songs like “Stay Together For The Kids” and “Pathetic.” The vocals are their signature, whiny pop-punk vocals, which many adore greatly. Of course, they’re more mature and filled out, but the vocals paired with the immature nature of the lyrics (the song is called “EDGING,” after all) make it feel a lot more childish. The lyrics and lyrical analysis of the song can be found here

The music video for “EDGING” is also very playful and weird, as most Blink-182 music videos are, as it takes place at a circus where the band hangs out with people dressed up in rabbit fursuits before they massacre all of them with knives. It’s a weird description, but take a look at the music video for yourself.

Upcoming for the band is their massive world tour taking place in 2023 and 2024. Dates can be found here. An album is coming soon, but the title and the release date are unknown as of the publication of this article.

Overall, the return of Tom DeLonge has been a long time coming for fans, and many are excited that he has returned. Not only is the return of DeLonge exciting, but the reunion tour next year for the upcoming album that will hopefully be released soon is exciting as well. “EDGING” is only the beginning of the return of the iconic pop-punk trio we all know and love.

@brookekillslive 

bp655221@ohio.edu