Students share their favorite 'silly little drinks'

With the start of the fall and the turning of the leaves, students often like to enjoy their favorite drinks while studying and enjoying the view of orange and red. While for some a simple drink from the dining hall or local convenience store fridge will do the trick, others enjoy intricate and beautifully crafted coffees with flavors to remind them of fall. 

Morgan Potts, a freshman studying business, said that her current favorite drink award would have to go to the always popular Dr. Pepper.

She said she drinks it almost three times a day and has even found herself substituting it for water due to what she says has a better taste. 

Potts said being on campus has given her the freedom to drink her favorite beverage more frequently. 

“I started drinking it actually when I got here because it’s in the dining halls and I don't really drink it at home because my parents didn't really let me drink pop and juices,” she said. 

Lilly Latkovic, a freshman studying biology wildlife conservation, said that her favorite drink really depended on the season and her mood but two drinks really stood out to her as being good stables. 

She said that although she enjoyed a glass of Pepsi with food, when it came to coffee she was a very big fan of caramel macchiatos with oat milk. 

Latkovic said she enjoyed the smooth texture of oat milk compared to regular milk because dairy tends to upset her stomach. She said drinking the macchiato put her in the right mind for her schoolwork. 

“I guess when I drink it, it just makes me feel so college, especially in the fall when I had my coffee and did my homework,” she said. 

Jack Zwiezinski, a freshman studying journalism, said their favorite drink is a Green Tea Arizona despite thinking they wouldn't like it at first. 

According to Zwiezinski, they went to a gas station one day with their friends and that although they would normally have gone straight for a sweet tea, they decided to take a chance on a new drink and were not disappointed. 

“I like the can and the design of it, and it was the best thing I’ve ever drank in my entire life,” they said. 

Zwiezinski said something about the drink just hits the perfect spot every single time. 

“It makes me feel right,” they said. “It makes me feel whole.” 

Freshman Lee Stanforth studying psychology said they are huge fan of a good mocha in the fall. Stanforth said their love for mocha started relatively early in their coffee-drinking experience. 

“There’s a little coffee shop from where I’m from that gives really good mochas, and I’ve been having them since middle school,” they said. 

Stanforth said the flavors in the mocha gave a reassuring sensation they really enjoyed. 

“The sweetness of it reminds me of home,” they said. “It reminds me of warm weather and fall. It's just very comforting.” 

Maddi Raisch, a junior studying business, said that although she likes all pumpkin flavored drinks, pumpkin chais had become one of her favorites. 

Raisch said she was first introduced to pumpkin chais by her mother, an avid Starbucks drinker. 

“My mom definitely introduced me to the drink,” she said. “She's always been a big Starbucks fiend, so the first time I had that flavor of drink was at Starbucks, but now that I’m in Athens we have a bunch of different coffee shops and I prefer getting it at a local spot.” 

Raish said her drink definitely reminded her of autumn and the changing of the seasons. 

“It definitely makes me think of this time of year just because cinnamon and pumpkin flavor is associated with fall, and it makes me feel really good,” she said. “It’s like a very homey feeling.” 

gc183621@ohio.edu 

@gabriellecab1