With the return of the infamous Halloween block party, this HallOUween weekend will be one to remember. But while out celebrating, it’s important to account for the safety of yourself, and others. Here’s our list of the Top 5 Safety Tips for HallOUween Weekend. Video by: Jenna Skidmore Acting by: Arielle Lyons, Maia LeClair and Donovan Hunt Visit our website: https://www.thepostathens.com/ Find us on social media: Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thepostathens/ Twitter: https://twitter.com/ThePost Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ThePostAthens

Staying safe during OU’s biggest holiday

Halloween is Ohio University’s biggest holiday. With lots of fun and the return of the infamous block party on the agenda for this year, this Halloween is highly anticipated. Here are some resources that OU has in addition to some tips on how you can stay safe while still having a wicked good time.

OU’s website has many resources for students to take advantage of and become familiar with in case of emergencies. First-year and transfer students are required to take Everfi/Vector Solutions (formerly Everfi): “Alcohol Edu for First-Year Students” and “Sexual Assault Prevention for Undergraduates,” which educates students on alcohol measurements, safety and sexual assault prevention. OU’s website also provides contact information for the Ohio University Police Department, or OUPD. 

Tim Ryan graduated from OU with a degree in criminology and sociology and has been a part of the OUPD for 18 years now. He is currently the staff lieutenant for OUPD and oversees the criminal investigations unit, department technology and serves as OUPD’s public information officer. 

“We typically see increases in alcohol and drug violations, disorderly conduct offenses and theft offenses,” he said in an email.

Ryan also said there are many ways to stay safe this year, such as staying in familiar groups and on familiar paths. He also said to stay alert and report suspicious activity by calling 911.

“Taking simple steps like locking doors and windows, not leaving property unattended and following the tips above can go a long way in staying safe,” he said via email.

Ben Driscoll, a junior studying business, is in his second year of being an RA. He said he has not had experience with the Block Party yet due to COVID-19, but has dealt with Halloween at OU in the past.

“Make sure you have a group of people that you’re comfortable with, people that hold you accountable,” said Driscoll. “Have somebody there that’ll be like, ‘Hey maybe you should slow down,’ as well as people you can stay with and call just in case you get lost.”

Driscoll reiterated the idea of sticking with people one knows and going to familiar places. He emphasized using resources that OU provides and that it will be a fun and safe weekend for all, especially if people know their limits and to stay aware.

With safety being OU’s top priority, having fun is right behind it. Students expressed their excitement about this weekend. 

“I’m excited about the block party,” said Lindsay Abdul-Karim, a junior studying integrated social studies. “We didn’t have it last year and our freshman year we weren’t allowed to come.”

Students also said they generally feel safe on campus, which they hope translates to even the busiest weekend of the year, Halloween.

“OUPD is always on guard and driving around,” said Shannon Stewart, a junior studying integrated healthcare studies. “I never feel unsafe on campus.”

Students are clearly excited about this upcoming weekend with so much to look forward to. Knowing how many safety precautions are prioritized at OU, students are sure to feel safe and secure no matter where they end up this year. 

“It’s really easy to do the right thing around here,” Driscoll said. “Obviously, drink responsibly, because on Halloween, or even on a regular weekend, … make sure you’re safe.”

aj205621@ohio.edu

@abbyjenks18