Here’s who's predicted to be nominated for the 2023 Grammy Awards

On Oct. 13, the Recording Academy opened its first round of voting for the 2023 Grammy Awards, causing many music lovers to take to social media to predict who would be nominated for some of the show’s biggest awards. 

With nominations being announced on Nov. 15, there’s no doubt that this year will see quite a few battles between newcomers and current musicians, so here are some predictions of who is most likely to rack up Grammy nominations:

Album of the Year: “RENAISSANCE” by Beyoncé

While Beyoncé will probably be nominated alongside powerhouses such as Adele, Harry Styles and Kendrick Lamar, it would be an absolute snub if “RENAISSANCE” was not nominated for “Album of the Year.” The singer’s seventh studio album has made waves since its release this summer, with publications such as The Guardian calling it “a breathtaking, maximalist tour de force.” An homage to house music, Beyoncé proved she could further continue to expand her sound, finding influence from LGBTQIA+ musicians and the 1980s to make an album all about being confident.

Best New Artist: MUNA

“Best New Artist” will definitely be a competitive category for this year’s Grammy Awards, especially as many artists such as Snail Mail, Soccer Mommy and Mitski have also submitted themselves to be nominated for it. Yet, MUNA stands out as they’ve shown that queer musicians can take over the mainstream, especially after their smash-hit, “Silk Chiffon (feat. Phoebe Bridgers).” Additionally, their third self-titled album highlighted the group’s talent and eye for storytelling and focused on creating music that includes everyone, not just the majority.

Best Pop Vocal Album: “CRASH” by Charli XCX

Many don’t take Charli XCX seriously, but “CRASH” was by far one of the best pop releases of 2022. Being the singer’s last album as part of her contract with Atlantic Records, the album showcased her ability to morph into any genre and make it better. Ranked a solid 8.0 by Pitchfork back in March, the publication said, “...Charli makes every second of "CRASH" count. The album has the range of a greatest-hits compilation, with kinetic pop-funk and textured dream-pop as well as banging Eurodance and post-internet glitch, but the new sounds she explores are built on a focused distillation of her own music’s wild pendulum swings.” Obviously, Charli XCX deserves this nomination, as much of the pop world has raved about the album.

Record of the Year: “As It Was” by Harry Styles 

It’s no surprise that Harry Styles is likely to be nominated for this category, as “As It Was” has been one of the year’s biggest hits. It even broke a Billboard record recently, staying No.1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart for 15 consecutive weeks, which has only been achieved by three other songs in music history. Imitating the sounds of the 1980s, this song came out at a perfect time and saw Styles take a risk stylistically with his sound, jumping into a new genre reminiscent of shoegaze pop.

Best Pop Solo Performance: “About Damn Time” by Lizzo

Obviously, “About Damn Time” was the song of the summer, a smash-hit lead track fresh off Lizzo’s third album, “Special,” which dropped this past July. The singer’s self-love anthem got many through 2022, causing people to swarm TikTok and make dances to its funky rhythm and upbeat nature. Selling over two million units in the US, the song also was on the Billboard Hot 100 Charts for two consecutive weeks, proving the impact of the singer on the pop genre.

Best Country Album: “Red (Taylor’s Version)” by Taylor Swift

“Red (Taylor’s Version)” definitely dominated the end of 2021, and its presence has continued to linger within the mainstream since. With its notable vault tracks such as the iconic “All Too Well (10 Minute Version) (Taylor’s Version)” and “I Bet You Think About Me (feat. Chris Stapleton),” this album is loaded with exquisite material and reimagined songs to make it worthy of the Recording Academy’s consideration.

grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu