In Case You Missed It: Kanye West causes controversy again

Controversial in nature, Kanye West is causing an uproar once again.

Kanye West, also known as Ye, is a well-known American rapper, songwriter, fashion designer and music producer who has shared his thoughts in public and on social media. In the past, he has been known for several feuds and controversial comments.

However, it seems his actions are slowly becoming more and more extreme. Most of West’s recent comments have spiraled into controversy and left fans of his music speechless. 

“I think he needs serious professional medical help,” said Emmy Ross, a sophomore studying media arts production. “I think that his following and his fan base is really, really dangerous.” 

Ross expresses love for West’s older music but says his most recent actions have changed how she listens to it. 

These extreme, controversial takes began on Oct. 3 when West was seen wearing “White Lives Matter” shirts with the 33-year-old conservative influencer Candace Owens to his Paris Fashion show “YZYSZN9.” Many quickly criticized him on social media, to which he publicly responded by calling out celebrities like supermodel Gigi Hadid. 

West then claimed he was not supported when he didn’t know where his daughter, Chicago West, was on her birthday, calling out his ex-wife, Kim Kardashian. Khloe Kardashian took to Instagram, pleading for him to take this feud off social media. Kim has made no comments about this specific incident and appears to be staying away from the drama.

“I’ve been seeing his recent Instagram posts and he seems like he’s going off the rails recently,” said Maddie Hunt, a sophomore studying nursing. “His music is good, but I think that he definitely struggles with some mental health stuff.” 

Hunt said that someone like West, with a large platform and huge audience, should think twice about the things he posts. 

West later took to Twitter, making anti-Semitic threats saying he was going to “go death con 3 on Jewish people,” causing an uproar from fans and influencers alike. He later claimed he didn’t know why the Jewish media “blocked him out.” This event was following recently severed business ties with JPMorgan Chase. 

“He should probably keep some thoughts to himself,” Luke Hess, a freshman studying business, said. “I guess everyone can express themselves though.” 

West was promptly restricted on both Twitter and Instagram soon after these threatening posts were put up. They have since then been removed.

The most recent news was just days ago when West sat down for an interview on “Drink Champs,” where he proceeded to reference Owens in talking about the murder of George Floyd. He continued by saying he agrees with Owens’ thoughts that Floyd died from a drug overdose and heart conditions and not former policeman Derek Chauvin pinning him down, which has been previously proved in court. 

Since then, it has come out that the Floyd family is considering suing West for his statements about Floyd and his death. 

“The way you present yourself and things you end up doing when you have that high of a platform can really have an effect on your audience and how they perceive you after something happens,” Emily Snyder, a sophomore studying nursing, said.

What’s to come for the rest of October for West is uncertain. However, the surrounding this man is far from over, and his fans are left stunned by his actions.

@abbyjenks18 

aj205621@ohio.edu