Necessities for the best spooky night in

The leaves are falling, the air is getting crisper and it’s time for scary movie nights to make their way onto fall bucket lists. If Halloween parties and fall bar events aren’t your scene, or you’re just looking for a chill and cozy night, this is your guide to the best spooky night in:  

Picking the right movie 

Starting off with the most important part of a scary movie night - the movie! If you’re looking for a classic horror movie, maybe without the best special effects, but rich with an eerie atmosphere, you can’t go wrong with either “Psycho” or “Rosemary’s Baby.” Both contain visual effects that don’t hold a candle to the capabilities of modern horror movies, but the psychological impact has held up across decades and is still scaring viewers to this day.

If you like the psychological horror genre but are looking for movies that rely less on visual effects, try your luck with “The Shining,” “The Silence of the Lambs” or “The Sixth Sense.” All three are seriously jarring, and you won’t be thrown off by fake effects. 

If psychological thrillers don’t, well, thrill you, then nothing does the trick better than old slasher movies. “Halloween,” “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre” and “Friday the 13th” are as bloodcurdling and hair-raising as they come, and they should be added to the watchlist of every horror fan. 

Spooky music 

What’s a scary movie night without some spooky music to set the vibe? “Thriller” by Michael Jackson, “Ghostbusters” by Ray Parker Jr., “Psycho Killer” by The Talking Heads, “Zombie” by The Cranberries, and perhaps the most streamed song during the month of October, Bobby Pickett’s “Monster Mash”, should all be added to your scary movie night playlist. You can also stay on the movie theme by listening to a Tim Burton soundtrack. From “Corpse Bride” to “Nightmare Before Christmas,” any song from those movies is guaranteed to send a chill down your spine. 

Fall décor

In addition to a spooky playlist, nothing says ambiance quite like fall decorations. Whether it’s a pumpkin on your desk, orange fairy lights hanging from the ceiling, wall hangings of witches and black cats or a soft and autumnal-colored blanket folded up on the bed, these decorations will set the seasonal tone and make your room the place to be for a scary movie night. 

Drinks and snacks

Finally, one of the most important elements of a scary movie night, the food and drink! For a sweet snack, toss some salted peanuts in a bowl with some candy corn. The resulting combination tastes like a Snickers bar that was tailored for fall. Other classic fall treats include caramel apples and baked pumpkin seeds, both of which would be delicious snacks to enjoy while being enthralled in a horror movie. 

These snacks would also pair wonderfully with any of the following fall drinks. Whether hot or cold, apple cider is an instant fall favorite. With the addition of a little cinnamon, and maybe even some bourbon, this drink will immediately warm your insides. Another fall classic is hot chocolate, with or without the Bailey’s Irish Cream, and is another definite crowd pleaser. 

Whether you opt for a horror movie drinking game, or listening to scary music while using a Ouija Board with your friends, we hope that you found inspiration from this guide, and that you enjoy your spooky night in.

@sophia.rooksberry

sr320421@ohio.edu