Ohio forward Drew Magyar (23) attempts to score a goal against Stony Brook goalie Matvei Kazakov (20) during the Bobcats' game on Jan. 14, 2022, in Bird Ice Arena.

Hockey: Numbers to know from Ohio's 8-0 shutout at Illinois

Ohio continued its undefeated season with another commanding victory, shutting out Illinois 8-0. Ohio’s offense proved to be a force to be reckoned with in its last series against Alabama and continued that Friday.

Here are the numbers to know from Ohio’s game at Illinois:

4

Illinois racked up 10 total penalty minutes, giving Ohio plenty of opportunities to score on the power play. Ohio went four for five, with goals scored by Jack Glen, Luc Reeve, Aiden Grieco and Hollander Thompson. Illinois on the other hand, went zero for four on the power play off of Ohio’s eight penalty minutes.

40

The Bobcats took 40 total shots on goal throughout this game, while the Illini were only able to garner seven. The Bobcats have been working on their defensive strategy throughout the beginning of the season, and that showed with the Illini’s minimal number of shots.

5

Ohio scored five of their eight goals in the second period, with two back-to-back goals from Reeve. Reeve’s second goal was followed up just over a minute later by yet another from Laker Aldridge. The Bobcats also increased their record to 5-0-0 with the victory over Illinois.

0

The Bobcats completely shutout the Illini, with goalie Max Karlenzig blocking all seven of their shots. This is the Bobcats second time completing this feat this season after their 5-0 victory against the Crimson Tide on Oct. 1. 

@ErionEmma

ee646020@ohio.edu

Emma Erion

Managing Editor