Junior Maddie Coombe (19) looking to get open for the ball against Michigan State University on Oct. 2nd, 2022 at Pruitt Field in Athens, Ohio.

Field Hockey: Focusing in on Ohio's weekend matchups

Ohio is back in action this weekend with an away match Friday at No. 52 Ball State and a home match Sunday vs. No. 20 Ohio State.

Here’s a rundown of Ohio’s competition this weekend:

Match Information

Friday:

Opponent: Ball State (5-5, 2-1 Mid-American Conference)

Location: Briner Sports Complex (Muncie, IN)

Date and Time: Oct. 7 at 3 p.m.

Live stats can be accessed here

The Cardinals are sitting at 5-5 this season as they prepare to take on the Bobcats at home Thursday. After a tough 7-0 loss to Michigan Sunday, the Cardinals are up for a fight against the Bobcats, who also have a 5-5 record after falling to Michigan State in their most recent match.

Ball State is coached by Caitlin Walsh, who took over the head coach position this year. Walsh previously spent the last three years as an assistant coach for Kent State’s field hockey team. During her three seasons there, Kent State finished with a 34-18 record.

Players to Watch: Ball State freshman Fleur Knopert, from Raalte, Netherlands, currently leads the team in goals scored this season with six and total points with 16.

In addition, Ohio’s Mijntje Ligtenberg continues to be a dominating force. She added another goal to her resume on Sept. 30 in a tough battle against Kent State. The goal brought her total goals to seven this season. Another player to watch is Meela Koop, who also had a goal against Kent State and scored Ohio’s only goal in its last match against Michigan State.

Sunday:

Opponent: Ohio State (5-5, 1-3 Big Ten)

Location: Pruitt Field (Athens, OH)

Date and Time: Oct. 9 at 1 p.m.

Live Broadcast can be accessed here

Live Stats can be accessed here

The Buckeyes will be traveling from Columbus, Ohio, Sunday to take on the Bobcats for a match in celebration of Pride Day.  The Buckeyes’ 1-3 conference record and overall 5-5 record was gained with a recent 4-0 win against the Golden Flashes. The Buckeyes scored in every quarter against the Golden Flashes and had 19 total shots.

Players to Watch: Ohio State’s Sarah Charley currently leads the team in goals with four, and she scored twice in its recent win. In addition, goalkeeper Abby Danson has held down the Buckeyes' defense with 48 saves this season.

The Bobcats will be up for a challenge in their next two matches.

ka702620@ohio.edu