Ohio University Freshman Maia Kaufman (4) passes the soccer ball at the game against Ball State on Chessa Field on Oct. 16, 2022.

Soccer: Everything to know about Ohio's must-win matches this week

Going into the final two weeks of the season, Ohio needs to string together a few more wins to make a run for the Mid-American Tournament. After a couple of unfortunate weeks with injuries and tough losses, Ohio is ready to make its presence felt against Toledo and Western Michigan, teams that are ranked higher than it in the MAC standings.

Here is everything to know about Ohio’s weekend matchups:

Thursday Match Information

Opponent: Toledo

Venue: Paul Hotmer Field (Toledo, OH)

Date and Time: Oct. 20 at 6 p.m.

Opponent Notes

- Toledo is 16-11 against Ohio since 1997, but are currently on a three-match losing streak against it.

- Toledo is ranked ninth in the MAC with a 1-3-4 conference record.

- Toledo has given up six or more goals in two matches this season, providing an opportunity for Ohio to take advantage of its defense.

Player to watch: Graduate student Morgan Otteson is Toledo’s clear leader, as she leads in nearly every offensive category including goals, shots, shots on goal, and points scored. Look for her to run Toledo's offense Thursday.

Sunday Match Information

Opponent: Western Michigan

Venue: Chessa Field (Athens, OH)

Time: Oct. 23 at 1 p.m.

Opponent Notes

- Western Michigan is 6-8-3 against Ohio since 2005, and has lost the last two matches against it.

- Western Michigan is coming off of two straight conference losses and is also fighting for a spot in the MAC Tournament.

- Western Michigan is ranked sixth in the MAC, just one spot ahead of Ohio.

Player to watch: Goalkeeper Hannah Sargent has started 14 of 15 matches in goal for Western Michigan, allowing just 1.38 goals per match. She also has 61 saves on the season.

Notes on Ohio

- Ohio split its last two matches against Central Michigan and Ball State respectively, winning 4-1 and then losing 2-1.

- Ohio has dropped to seventh in the MAC, with three matches remaining.

- Injuries have hurt Ohio’s depth, look for multiple freshman to play a good portion of the final regular season matches.

Player to watch: As the season comes to a close, the race for team lead in goals may come down to the wire. Senior Regan Berg has six goals, and graduate student Abby Townsend follows closely behind with five.

@officialelij

ej358918@ohio.edu