Abbey Townsend (16) dribbles the ball around a Buffalo defender on Sept. 23, 2021.

Soccer: Everything to know about Ohio's weekend opponents

Ohio redeemed itself this past week, going 2-0 after a winless start to Mid-American Conference play. Now, Ohio has two more MAC matches ahead of it. Ohio returns home Thursday to take on Northern Illinois, before traveling to Bowling Green on Saturday. This week will be a true testament to how the rest of the season will go for Ohio.

Here is everything you need to know about Ohio’s weekend matchups:

Thursday Match Information

Opponent: Northern Illinois

Venue: Chessa Field (Athens, OH)

Time: 4 p.m.

Opponent Notes

- Northern Illinois is 4-7 against Ohio since 2010. Ohio currently has a three-match win streak in the series, but that is on the line this weekend.

- Being 2-2 in the MAC, Ohio is looking to get a quality victory and improve above .500 in conference play.

- Northern Illinois has been shutout four times this season. With Sam Wexell in goal, Ohio will look to make that a fifth.

Player to watch: Junior midfielder Claudia Muessig leads Northern Illinois with four goals and 10 shots on goal. Ohio has been playing stifling defense, and it is going to have to maintain that against this team.

Sunday Match Information

Opponent: Bowling Green

Venue: Cochrane Stadium (Bowling Green, OH)

Time: 1 p.m.

Opponent Notes

- Bowling Green is 9-12-6 against Ohio since 1997, with its last match ending in a 0-0 draw last season.

- Bowling Green currently has a 3-4-3 overall record and a 1-1-2 record in the MAC. Its lone MAC loss was to Ball State.

- Both Ohio and Bowling Green played a ranked Xavier team in their nonconference schedules. Bowling Green lost to Xavier 1-0, while Ohio forced a 0-0 draw.

Player to watch: Senior forward Kennedy White is the clear leader of Bowling Green’s offense. She has eight goals on 29 total shots this season. White has started in every match for Bowling Green this year and has yet to notch an assist on the season.

Notes on Ohio

- Ohio coach Aaron Rodgers isn’t afraid to get Ohio’s younger players into the lineup. Watch for a range of substitutions to keep everyone on the field fresh.

- Ohio has currently won two straight MAC matches after starting 0-2 in conference play.

- Graduate student Abby Townsend is just four assists away from earning the most career assists in Ohio history, which is currently 31.

Player to watch: After winning MAC Offensive Player of the Week Tuesday and her hat trick against Eastern Michigan, senior Regan Berg will continue to have a strong impact on Ohio’s offense.

@officialelij

ej358918@ohio.edu