Chief of Staff, Molly Pennington, left, listens to Treasurer, Trinity Robinson, right, at the student senate meeting in Walter Hall on Wednesday, Sept. 14 2022.

Student Senate: Mayor Steve Patterson speaks, takes questions

Ohio University Student Senate met Wednesday evening to hear from Mayor Steve Patterson, who spoke to and answered questions from members of the Senate about Halloween, women’s rights and Athens’ climate change contributions.

Patterson briefly discussed the 10-acre purchase agreement between the university and Athens, which would allow the city to obtain land for its new fire station. He then took questions from members of Senate.

Patterson responded to Senate’s questions about this year’s Halloween festivities. 

“We have a lot of safety planning,” Patterson said. “There's people that will be there that you don't even know that are there to protect you in case something terrible were to happen.”

Patterson also assured Student Senate that the Athens Police Department and Ohio University Police Department plan to expand police presence during the festivities, but said they will keep their distance.

Senate also addressed its concerns about the Athens Planned Parenthood only being open three days a week with limited phone hours. Some also said the phones are not always answered during the center’s limited hours.

Patterson said he would like to offer more support to the center but said he had a limited ability to do so.

Members of Senate also asked about the city’s contribution to combating climate change. Patterson said part of the $9 million going to the new fire station headquarters will be used to create an open geothermal system powered by the Hocking River.

Patterson also explained that Athens was the first city in the nation to put a carbon tax on the ballot in 2018.

“I am all-in when it comes to decarbonizing the city of Athens,” Patterson said. “I want to see us not become climate-neutral, I want to see us become climate-positive.”

Following Patterson’s discussion, Senate moved to fill vacant positions and appoint new members.

Senate said it encourages students to review their rights before homecoming weekend on its Instagram page.

@jack_solon

js573521@ohio.edu