Ten songs to add to your ‘out of body experience’ playlist

What does it mean for an experience to be considered "out of body?" Sophomore Child and Family Studies major Anna Eiser said, "An out-of-body experience to me is watching yourself (do) motions through another person's lens. It's not uncommon, but there are certain out-of-body experiences that stick with you longer than others." 

Google defines it as "A sensation of being outside one's own body, typically of floating and being able to observe oneself from a distance."

When going through an out-of-body experience, as mentioned above, one can feel like they are floating or as if they aren't even real. These songs will make you feel both of those things.

"Glare" by Sheep, Dog, & Wolf

Released in 2013 as a part of the band's Egospect album, "Glare" is the second song in the queue. The band sings, "The sun hates me! / Never go outside / I hide from the light / until it’s night-time.” These lyrics, the beat and the tempo all give off a unique feel to the song.

"Drink Before the War" by Sinéad O'Connor

Made increasingly more popular by the 2019 HBO Original drama Euphoria, "Drink Before the War" was played in season two, episode four of the show. Specifically, the background instrumentals give off a psychedelic feel, not to mention O'Connor's strong voice, which adds a unique touch and thrilling feeling. 

"Intro" by The XX

Though a relatively short song, clocking in at two minutes and seven seconds, this song will still leave you feeling like you're walking in a different dimension. "Intro" was released by the band in 2009 as a part of its "XX" album. 

"Nangs" by Tame Impala

"Nangs" comes from the band's third studio album, "Currents," not to mention the album art that totally gives off a psychedelic vibe. This song is also relatively short, only one minute and 47 seconds long. "Nangs" will, without a doubt, make you feel like you're floating. Words can't do this song justice. Just listen. 

"Wave" by Beck

The song starts out with a slow violin piece that gradually builds louder and louder. The first lyrics are, "I move away from this place, in the form of a disturbance. And enter into the world. Like some tiny distortion." These lyrics perfectly exemplify what an out-of-body experience feels like because sometimes it can feel like you exist in another world. The feelings of smallness and distortion are also common. 

"My Tears Are Becoming A Sea" by M83

This song builds on itself. In the beginning, it starts out somewhat soft and slow, but by the minute and ten mark, you earbud users will have your eardrums blown out if listening at full volume. This song gives off major 'main character vibes,' and will make you feel like you're not real; it's that good. The album "Hurry Up, We're Dreaming," was nominated for Best Alternative Music Album at the 2013 Grammy Awards.

"Space Song" by Beach House

Easily one of the better-known songs from the band having approximately 513,064,698 listens on Spotify, "Space Song" was released in 2015 as a part of the band's "Depression Cherry" album. Words to describe this song would be "vibey" and "smooth."

"My Body is a Cage" by Arcade Fire

This song's crescendo is to die for. The song starts with the lead singer singing, "My body is a cage / that keeps me from dancing with the one I love / but my mind holds the key," with minimal background instrumentals. Those beginning lyrics elicit the idea that one's mind and body are at war, which could easily happen when one is experiencing something out of the body. The "mind holds the key," but the "body is a cage." This 2007 album, "Neon Bible," was a finalist for the 2007 Polaris Music Prize.

"Solitude" by M83

The lyrics in this song start with, "Somewhere back in time I left a part of me / I wanna see if you can try to bring it back to me." The idea that one has multiple versions of oneself is trippy and dreamy. The violin in this song helps that factor too. At the two-minute mark, the piano and the vocals tie together the psychedelic feel. "Solitude" was released in 2016 as a part of the band's "Solitude" album.

"I'm a Mother" by Perfume Genius

This song sounds like you are being teleported to another planet or, in the out-of-body context, a different dimension. Quite possibly the most "out-of-body" of all the songs on this list, this song is slow and stays that way. The most outstanding lyrics are, "I'm no blood upon the earth / I'm a restless fate." This entertains the idea that maybe the singer is not a physical human being on earth, and their existence is purely magical or, out-of-body. 

A playlist containing all these songs and more can be found here. 

@olivia_rohling 

or325320@ohio.edu