Here’s what angel numbers actually mean

People all over the world are fascinated when they open their phone at exactly 3:33, do a double take when their order total comes out to exactly $5.55 and make a wish every time the clock hits 11:11. However, few people stop to consider what all of these things actually mean. These occurrences are all examples of angel numbers, which are rooted in the idea that when you see a sequence of numbers in repetition or in a pattern, they are signs from guiding forces in certain aspects of your life. 

The first use of angel numbers can be traced all the way back to Pythagoras and his concept of numerology. While the concept has been around for a long time, the actual term “angel numbers” gained popularity in the '70s and '80s with the New Age movement, which was a rise in people shifting from traditional religion to general and eclectic spirituality. From this movement came both the widespread belief in angel numbers and more conversation about the zodiac, which was originally written about by Ptolemy, along with some early Egyptian and Babylonian influence.  

While both were originally conceptualized in the late BCE to the early CE, and are both rooted in some form of spirituality, angel numbers and zodiacs aren’t necessarily connected. Zodiac signs are controlled by birth time, place and day, but angel numbers don’t correlate to any specific criteria. This means that people can decide for themselves which angel numbers are “theirs,” based either on which ones they see most often, or which ones have had the most positive impact on their lives. 

Another difference between the two is that zodiac signs provide insight into certain personality traits and a person’s way of interacting with themselves, other people and the world around them. Angel numbers can be thought of as guideposts through the different stages of a person’s life. While angel numbers are to a certain degree up to individual interpretation, each angel number has different attributes that represent what stage a person is at in their life, and what behaviors and mindsets will best benefit them in that stage. 

000: New Beginnings 

A sign to be bold with decision making, it will pay off at the start of new journeys.  

111: Manifestation 

Extra support from spiritual guides means that wishes are more likely to come true when associated with this number. 

222: Trust

This number is a sign to collaborate more with those whose energy compliments yours.

333: Creativity 

Use artistic expressiveness to best contribute to the world around you. 

444: Stability 

Whatever it is that you are building is strong, keep on the path.

555: Change 

Any feeling of being stuck or static is going to pass soon. 

666: Compassion 

Kindness and empathy are extremely important, both to others and to yourself. 

777: Good Fortune

Take risks and step out of your comfort zone, it’s going to pay off.  

888: Intuition

Listen to your gut, your instincts should be trusted.  

999: End of a Journey 

Whatever cycle you’re in is coming to an end, so keep a good thought about the new journey that is right around the corner. 

At the end of the day, angel numbers can mean whatever you want them to mean and can have as little or as much importance as you give them. The one indisputable fact about angel numbers that makes them so remarkable is that everyone who sees them believes in a slightly more mystical world, even if it is just for a moment. 

@sophia.rooksberry

sr320421@ohio.edu