5 tips to help combat seasonal depression

The winter months can be tough on people mentally. The lack of sunshine and cold temperatures can significantly worsen one’s mood. Here are five tips to deal with seasonal depression to hold individuals over until the spring season is present.

Consider buying a “happy lamp”

One of the problems people face in the winter is the lack of visible sunshine, which means a deficit of Vitamin D. According to popsci.com, “Happy lamps are designed to imitate natural sunlight and correct disturbances to the circadian rhythm. In the morning hours, these lamps bring the sunlight that’s missing from the outside world indoors to let the body know it’s daytime and ensure its internal clock is set correctly.” Happy lamps can be found pretty much anywhere, but Amazon would be a great place to start.

Exercise

Runners' high is no myth. Getting outside or getting to the gym to move your body can allow your brain to release endorphins which in turn can make you feel euphoric and a little more at ease. 

Take up art

Making art can offer you a creative outlet. Making art can also be a distraction from the potential sadness and dread you may be feeling. Having something you’ve created can also leave you feeling accomplished–which is a great feeling that can totally combat that seasonal sadness. Not quite a Picasso? Fear not, as you can whip out those coloring books you have from when you were little. There’s no shame in sitting down and coloring. Coloring can help you center your mind and keep you focused and calm; it also makes you feel like a kid again.

Baking

Baking some fall or winter treats can once again make you feel accomplished, and the great news is you have something to show for your hard work whether it be muffins or pie, you’ll now be left feeling a little more at ease and now with a delicious baked dessert for you to enjoy!

Nap

Honestly, it’s that point in the semester where you’re probably exhausted. There’s absolutely no shame in taking time to yourself to simply just rest. Allowing yourself a nap can make you feel rejuvenated to tackle whatever task the world may throw at you next. Want to step it up a notch? Consider listening to some rain audio as you fall asleep–now that is peaceful. 

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) affects approximately 3 million people per year. That being said, it is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. Chances are you know someone who copes with it, you just don’t know it. 

or325320@ohio.edu

@olivia_rohling