A timeline of Migos’ member Takeoff’s career as a rapper

With the passing of Migos’ rapper, Takeoff, last week, many don’t realize the lasting effect he had on the rap genre, inside and outside of being in a rap trio. As a tribute to the rapper, here is a timeline of Takeoff’s career as a rapper and the legacy he leaves for future generations:

2008

In 2008, Migos formed as a rap group after Kirshnik Khari Ball, aka Takeoff, began rapping with his uncle, Quavious Keyate Marshall (Quavo) and his cousin, Kiari Kendrell Cephus (Offset). The trio originally called themselves Polo Club. Takeoff would make beats while Quavo and Offset were at high school football practice.

2011

The group decided to change their stage name, releasing their first album, “Juug Season.” 

2013

Migos released their first major hit, “Versace,” launching them to stardom. They also released other singles including “Hannah Montana” and “Ounces.” The group also released two follow-up albums, “Young Rich ------” and “No Label.” 

2014

The group continued to release more singles: “Pocket Watching,”“Yrn” and “Bedloo (Instrumental with Hook) feat. Zaytoven.” Migos also dropped two more albums, “No Label II” and “Rich ----- Timeline.”

2015

Collaborating with rapper Gucci Mane, Migos released an album alongside him called “The Green Album,” consisting of features with other rappers including Young Thug, Young Dolph and Kourtney Money. In the same year, Migos produced their sixth, seventh and eighth albums, “Yung Rich Nation,” “Currency” and “Rich Shooters.” 

2016

Migos continued to keep dropping albums, slowly gaining more of a following with “YRN 2 (Young Rich ------ 2).”

2017

Migos' major breakthrough happens with the release of “Culture,” including one of their most famous songs, “Bad and Boujee (feat. Lil Uzi Vert).” The song reached No.1 on Billboard’s Hot 100, also becoming a platinum and gold single and album. 

2018

Another important album in Migos’ musical catalog, “Culture II,” is released. Songs such as “Stir Fry” and “Motorsport (feat. Cardi B and Nicki Minaj)” also reach Billboard’s Top 10. Takeoff also released his first single, “Last Memory,” as well as his first solo project, “The Last Rocket,” which debuted at No. 4 on the Billboard 200. Rumors also began to circulate that the rap trio was separating. 

Migos was also nominated for “Rap Album” and “Rap Performance” at the 2018 Grammy Awards.

2019

Takeoff releases another single with Quality Control Music called “I Suppose.” 

2020

Dropping two more singles, “Too Blessed (feat. Rich The Kid and Quavo)” and “All Time High,” Takeoff continues to develop as a solo artist.

2021

The group drops the final installment of their “Culture” album trilogy, “Culture III.” After fans noticed that Offset and his wife, Cardi B, unfollowed Quavo and Takeoff on social media, they also were shocked to hear that Quavo and Takeoff would begin releasing new music as a duo, Unc and Phew. 

2022

While there was no official statement from Migos in regards to their split, Takeoff and Quavo continued to make music together, dropping their first album together, “Only Built For Infinity Links” this past April. In October, the duo discussed the future of Migos on Revolt’s “Big Facts” podcast with DJ Scream, explaining why they were not on good terms with Offset.

"I just feel like we want to see our career as a duo, you know what I'm saying, because, you know, we just came from a loyal family,“ Quavo said "We are supposed to stick together.”

Takeoff also dropped more singles, “Crypto (feat. Rich The Kid),” “Us vs. Them (feat. Gucci Mane and Quavo),” “Big Stunna (feat. Birdman and Quavo),” “Nothing Changed (feat. Quavo)” and “See Bout It (feat. Quavo and Mustard).”

On Nov. 1, Takeoff was shot and killed during an outing at a bowling alley in Houston. 

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu