Collin Felton, 13, dives in for the play during the match against West Virginia at Bird Ice Arena on Nov. 5, 2022.

Hockey: Ohio loses first game at home 2-1 against Pitt

The Bobcats could not break through the tough Panthers defense

Ohio’s undefeated season on home ice ended Saturday after it fell just short to Pitt 2-1. After Friday’s crushing 7-1 victory, Ohio couldn’t hold onto the energy that it brought the day before. Besting Pitt’s steadfast defense proved to be too tall of a task. 

The Bobcats set off on the wrong foot in the first period after Pitt snuck the puck by goaltender Justin Damon just under two minutes in. The Bobcats didn’t allow this to rattle them, as Andrew Wells shot a goal into the Panther’s net thanks to an assist from Andrew Sacca, who marked his 100th game Saturday.

The first period ended in a 1-1 tie, with the rest of it turning into a defensive stalemate. Ohio had many close calls on its goal, but its tight-knit defense allowed zero luck for Pitt.

The second period was a repeat of the first, with yet another early goal from the Panthers that visibly shook up the Bobcats as soon as the period began.

“We didn’t get our bounces, and when our bounces are away, we get away from what makes us successful,” Ohio coach Lionel Mauron said.

It seemed like every time Ohio had an opportunity to capitalize near Pitt’s goal, the puck got whiffed or wasn’t able to be kept in scoring position. On Friday, The Bobcats had an impressive scoring rally in the second period, but they didn’t have that same fire under their skates Saturday, which is ultimately what cost them.

“We were not as intense the whole game and that showed," Mauron said. “We just kind of ran out of steam.”

The Panthers' goalie Grant Lindsay had a stellar performance and played arguably the biggest role in defeating the Bobcats. He had 37 saves on 38 shots on goal and defended the Bobcats multiple attacks, especially in the third period.

Mauron believes that Lindsay’s performance coupled with Pitt’s determination allowed for them to takeover tonight.

“They’re really hardworking, and they had that sense of belief, and sometimes that’s what happens in hockey," Mauron said. Their goalie played well, got the puck out and played defense for 55 minutes. We couldn’t find a way.”

The third period saw no scoring, but a steep increase in physicality from the Bobcats. They racked up 25 penalty minutes for various offenses, including a 10 minute misconduct penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct from player to official by Laker Aldridge.

This strategy seemed to be a last ditch effort at gaining some energy, but it failed as the Bobcats still couldn’t seem to chip through the Panthers defense. The third period was their best period of the night by far, however, as they had a much cleaner offense and defense that could have potentially propelled them to victory.

“I thought we probably deserved to win that one,” Mauron said.

Ohio will hope to regain some energy heading into next weekend’s series at home against Maryville, an opponent they split a series with earlier this season.

@ErionEmma

ee646020@ohio.edu

Emma Erion

Managing Editor