Ohio defenseman Sam Turner (27) skates the puck during the Bobcats game on Friday, October 1, 2021, at the Bird Arena in Athens, Ohio.

Hockey: Ohio looks to continue home success against Pitt

Ohio is doing what it does best: starting out its season strong. 

The Bobcats have only lost two of their 12 games this season and are undefeated at home. The Bobcats are looking to continue that in a two game series against Pitt this weekend. The Panthers have been a constant on the Bobcats schedule over the past decade, and the Bobcats have dominated. 

Game Information: 

Opponent: Pitt (6-4-2)

Location: Bird Arena (Athens, OH)

Date and Time: Nov. 11 and 12 at 7 p.m. 

Series History: Ohio played Pitt early in the 2021 season, and it was Ohio’s first real challenge of the year. The Panthers came to Athens and gave Ohio its first loss of the season, splitting a two game series. In the teams first matchup on October 1, 2021, Ohio got out to an early lead, which held despite Pitt answering back. Ohio won the first game 6-3, but struggled offensively on October 2, 2021. In the second matchup, it scored fewer than five goals for the first time in 2021 and lost to Pitt 5-2. 

Not only was it Ohio’s first loss of the 2021 season, but it was its first loss to Pitt since both teams joined the American Collegiate Hockey Association. Ohio was 17-0 against Pitt since 2011 until last year. 

Player to Watch: Laker Aldridge was a big part of Ohio’s sweep against West Virginia last weekend, totaling seven assists over the course of the two games. Six of those came on Saturday, when Aldridge tied the Ohio record for most assists in a single game. 

Watch out for Aldridge to be in the right spots at the right time against Pitt. He knows how to set up a good shot, something Ohio will need if it wants to complete another series sweep. 

@molly_burchard8

mb712319@ohio.edu