Ohio forward Ella Pope (#44) goes for two during the Bobcats' game against Richmond on Dec. 4, 2021 at The Convocation Center in Athens, Ohio

Women's Basketball: Ohio gets second-straight win against Dayton

Ohio (2-4, 0-0 Mid-American Conference) won its second-straight game Tuesday against Dayton (0-7, 0-0 Atlantic 10). It was Ohio's third away game, and it is 2-1 in the early road stretch. Ohio and Dayton went back and forth for all four quarters, but a late basket by sophomore Ella Pope gave Ohio the 52-51 win. 

The Bobcats got off to an early 15-4 lead but let the Flyers go on a 7-0 run to narrow their lead. The scoring was very evenly distributed for the Bobcats. Six players, including all of the starters, scored in the first quarter. 

The Bobcats worked on growing their lead in the second quarter, as turnovers and fouls by Dayton let Ohio control the game offensively. Sophomore Yaya Felder took control for the Bobcats. She scored nine of her 20 total points in the second quarter. 

In the third quarter, Dayton came out aggressive. A 3-pointer 10 seconds in and a quick 5-0 run evened the score, which provided a strong mental test for Ohio on the road. However, it didn't back down as Ohio maintained a 43-42 lead going into the fourth quarter. 

Both teams only scoring nine points in the final quarter provided an exciting end to a competitive game. Ohio and Dayton went back and forth for the entire period, but with just seconds left in the game, Pope drove to the basket unguarded to give the Bobcats a one-point advantage. 

After a rushed possession by Dayton where they didn't get a shot off, Ohio retained possession and sealed its victory. 

@officialelij

ej358918@ohio.edu