People and Planet: Russia at fault for missile landing in Poland

The violent dance between Ukraine and Russia rages on across the world stage and has now spilled into the audience and one of Ukraine’s most outspoken supporters: Poland. 

On Tuesday, a missile crossed into the eastern Polish village of Przewodow near the Ukrainian border in one of the largest barrages so far in the war. Two Polish civilians were killed in the explosion. 

There is no evidence that these missiles were supposed to get into Poland in the first place. In fact, preliminary findings actually indicate that the missile that landed in Poland was Ukrainian air defense.

Ultimately, it remains Russia’s fault that this happened at all.

For the duration of the war, the Kremlin has been attacking Ukraine with unnecessary and unethical force, even for a war. Beyond targeting and torturing civilians, they have now shot missiles carelessly close to a NATO territory. In recent weeks, there has also been a pattern of Russia becoming frustrated with Ukrainian gains and striking intensely from far beyond the front lines.

The point is that Russia is getting sloppy. Their military efforts are failing organs in the state’s dying body that writhes in pain and in restlessness, taking their fear and frustration out in morphine-induced fits. Russia is desperate and dying.

However, just because Russia is desperate does not necessarily mean Putin will act out in a way that would pull NATO forces into Russia’s war on Ukraine. 

Every time there is an escalation in the war, such as Russia’s targeting of various nuclear power plants in Ukraine, there are suddenly countless people catastrophizing online that World War III is about to start.

This is not true. Unless a NATO country is purposefully attacked by Russia, it is highly unlikely that NATO will get involved beyond sending aid and weaponry to Ukraine. It is irresponsible to go online and imply that something so massive will happen without being properly informed of how high the stakes are if NATO was to get involved.

Regardless of NATO’s direct involvement, it is still pertinent that we remain behind Ukraine at all costs. This is a classic situation of a large and corrupt power taking advantage of a smaller power, and at that one that has basically minded its own business since the dissolution of the USSR

In choosing to attack Ukraine, Putin has further alienated Russia from the rest of the world. In playing dangerously with their missiles and accidentally striking Poland, they have isolated themselves even more.

Eerily mirroring the Berlin Wall, built by the East to keep out the West, there are now barbed wire fences being built along the border of Finland and Russia as well as between Poland and a small part of Russian territory sandwiched between Poland and Lithuania. 

This time, however, it is an effort to keep Russia out as opposed to the Berlin Wall, which was designed to keep a barrier between western Germany and eastern Germany on behalf of the Soviets trying to purge themselves of Western influence.

Although there is a much lesser threat of nuclear war, the world is very much living in a Cold War-like state in this almost nostalgic display of Russian force. If Russia wants NATO to remain uninvolved, it must tread lightly and ensure nothing like the missile in Poland happens again.

Megan Diehl is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the opinions expressed in this column do not reflect those of The Post. Want to chat with Megan about her column? Tweet her @megandiehl02.

Megan Diehl

Assistant Opinion Editor