Here's a guide for prospective new wave music fans

With the recent revival of new wave music, many people have a desire to enter the fanbase but don’t quite know where to start. New Wave is described as a subgenre of rock music that encapsulates most alternative, indie, synth, pop and punk bands of the 70s and 80s. While there are countless bands accredited in the genre, there are a few that are vastly recognized to be pinnacles of the genre and are an excellent foundation off which to build a personalized taste. 

The band that has received the most recent attention is undoubtedly The Smiths. Their two albums with the most fame are “Meat Is Murder” from 1985, and then “The Queen Is Dead” one year later. Fans are attracted to the grungy, yet polished style of the band, and the way their lyrics captured the essence of the time. 

Another band with a similar vibe is The Cure. This band was acclaimed for its lead singer's defiance of the norms of the time and brought an edgy darkness to the genre. Their career spanned for decades, beginning with albums like “Three Imaginary Boys” in the late 70s and continuing through the late 80s with their beloved albums “Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me” and “Disintegration." 

Ask anyone who grew up in the 70s and they will tell you that the Talking Heads were one of the most influential bands of the age. From their first self-titled album in 1977 to their esteemed “Little Creatures” from 1985, the Talking Heads have remained stirring and impassioned throughout the bands lifespan. 

In a primarily make-dominated genre, “Blondie” was an incredible breath of fresh air. The lead singer, Debbie Harry has been an icon for women everywhere, from the cadence of her voice to her fashion sense to the defiant ownership of her power. The album cover for their 1978 album “Parallel Lines” is proof in itself of the band’s energy, with the band's male instrumentalists all standing in a line wearing suits and broad grins with a self-assured and scowling Debbie Harry standing starkly among them. 

One of the genre’s biggest trivia facts comes from the duality of Joy Division and New Order. In the late 70s and early 80s, the band Joy Division released “Unknown Pleasures” and “Closer” and then rebranded themselves two years later, and for the rest of their career, as New Order. Both bands are similarly dark and moody, but both also offer their own spin on the musical style of the time. 

Finally, a lesser known band of the new wave genre is Pulp. Their music began in 1983, but their most famous album, “Different Class,” was released in 1995 and displayed elements of their early new wave style with a more refined touch. Jarvis Cocker, the lead singer, went on to have a decent solo career that incorporated elements of his previous band. 

This list skims the surface of the new wave genre and is a good foundation for someone who is trying to engage in the new wave style. There are also many bands immediately and long after the new wave movement that are worth exploring, from post-punk bands like R.E.M. to more modern bands like The Strokes and Interpol. 

@sophia.rooksberry

sr320421@ohio.edu