Students share advice as internship season approaches

Spring Semester is off to a cold start. Returning to school after winter break is inevitably difficult and potentially stressful for some students. On top of a busy schedule of new classes, sports, arts and student organizations, some students are beginning to search for internships. Spring and summer are the prime time for getting the job experience to make a resume stand out. 

Finding the perfect internship is very important to many students, as it may be the key to starting their desired career fresh out of college. However, like finding a job, the application submission process can tend to be repetitive and stress-inducing. There are several ways to minimize stress during internship season and make the search go smoother. 

“Finding and landing an internship may feel daunting to some students, but we reassure them that we are here to provide support each step of the way,” Ashley Beatty-Smith, assistant director for career and employer engagement, said in an email. “This includes support in identifying the types of skills they want to develop, searching for relevant opportunities, reviewing application materials and preparing for the interview.”

Additionally, Beatty-Smith said there are financial resources for students allocated through award opportunities. Student funding ensures internships are accessible to students no matter their situation.

“Even if not required for their major, this experience is invaluable to their personal and professional development,” she said in an email.

While finding an internship can be intimidating, the benefits of an internship are unparalleled. 

“Ideally, students are given the opportunity to take ownership, they are engaged, mentored and challenged in their work,” Courtney Kessel, assistant director of experiential design, said via email. “This experience aids the student in career exploration and further supports their academic direction.”

Kessel emphasized that sometimes an internship may not work out, but that there are several opportunities the university provides to give students the best internship experience possible without too much hassle. 

Many students may be wondering where to start when it comes to internships. Fortunately, the university provides several starting points for looking into internships. 

“We host career and internship fairs each semester,” Kessel said in an email. “Students can attend these to meet employers who are specifically recruiting at OHIO, explore industries, practice networking all while looking for an internship or job.”

Kessel also mentioned starting points such as internship listings on Handshake, a variety of PACE (Program to Aid Career Exploration) positions and the Office of Global Opportunities for international programs for those who qualify and are interested.

Students may have mixed feelings about internships due to the added workload, but the payoff, in the end, can be worth it for many. 

“Depending on what you’re doing, I think internships are probably one of the best ways to go, but it kinda depends on your situation,” JC Casto, a sophomore studying aviation flight and aviation management, said. 

Casto talked about the benefits of receiving experience in the field and getting closer to a potential company for a job in the future. He also said that being an intern may be undesirable. However, the payoff is worth the extra work and time.

Internship season is no doubt a stressful time; however, it can be an exciting one too. Casto said the perfect internship can be the final push towards someone’s dream job or career that they have worked so hard for and certainly, there is no feeling that could trump something like that. 

aj205621@ohio.edu

abbyjenks18