Weekender Briefs: Cultural immersions, diverse art exhibits

Friday, Jan. 20

Wild Gathered and Garden Grown: Appalachian Food and Foodways will take place at 30 Park Place in Alden Library’s 1951 Lounge. The exhibit will feature Appalachian cooking in three different formats including local recipes from campus staff and faculty, cookbooks showing regional cuisine and photographs documenting the history of cooking at Ohio University. The event lasts all day, and can also be experienced through Jan. 28.

Attendance: Free

CONVERSATIONS … by the College of Fine Arts will take place at the Kennedy Museum of Art from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Located at 100 Ridges Circle, the art exhibit curated by student staff “begins with the notion that we often create individual meaning from simple visual connections between objects.”

Attendance: Free

‘80s Night with DJ Barticus returns to Casa Nueva, 6 W. State St., from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. The event will feature favorite ‘80s tunes and invites anyone to come dance all night. 

Attendance: $5 for 21+, $7 for 18-20

Saturday, Jan. 21

Centering Black Artists at the Kennedy Museum of Art highlights the work of black artists within the museum’s collections. Historical artists such as social realist Jacob Lawrence, color field painter Sam Gillian and abstractionist Martin Puryear will be featured on display. The event is located at 100 Ridges Circle from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Attendance: Free

Ohio men’s basketball is back for its 2023 season. The team will take on Central Michigan from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. at The Convo, 95 Richland Ave. The game will pay tribute to Morgan’s Message, an organization focused on combating student-athlete mental health.

Attendance: Free 

Midnight Meltdown at Bird Arena is a late night ice-skating session open to the public. Located at 23 Oxbow Trail, Bird Arena staff will be present and the event is from 10 p.m. to 12 a.m. after Ohio men’s hockey takes on Drexel at 7 p.m.

Attendance: Rec Skate fees apply 

Sunday, Jan. 22

Ohio vs. Cleveland State will see Ohio wrestle against Cleveland State at The Convo, 95 Richland Ave. From 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., free T-shirts will be handed out to the first 100 fans. The event is a Turn It Gold match, recognizing the organization’s fight against pediatric cancer. 

Attendance: Free

Gesture of the Still Image can be seen from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. at the Kennedy Museum of Art, 100 Ridges Circle. The exhibit is a selection of photographs and other mediums from the museum’s collections for their portrayal of the human body in a moment of movement.

Attendance: Free

Athens Ki-Aikido Open House will be from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at 94 Columbus Road. Any age groups interested in traditional Japanese Martial Arts with an added emphasis on mindfulness are encouraged to attend. The event serves as an opportunity to learn more about the sport and talk to instructors. The dojo requires face masks upon entrance. 

Attendance: Free

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu