The best albums for spring

The northern hemisphere has finally started to thaw from its cold winter, the sun is setting later in the day and rising earlier and the snow has begun to turn into a mix of rain and sunshine. Spring is on the horizon, and the transition to warmer weather needs the right soundtrack for it, as exemplified in these albums. 

"Wasteland, Baby!" - Hozier

There is a certain dichotomy in Hozier’s 2019 album, “Wasteland, Baby!” On the one hand, some songs are made for the cold rainy days of early spring, such as the titular track. Other songs are made for the days when the sun finally comes out and the temperatures finally break 60 degrees, such as “Almost (Sweet Music)” and “Would that I.” Nevertheless, there is a song for any spring mood you have. 

"Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends" - Coldplay

Coldplay’s 2008 album can be described in one word: triumphant. The album feels like stepping out into sunlight for the first time in months (which is quite possible for the weather here), as exemplified by the title “Viva la Vida.” It’s also seen in songs like “Strawberry Swing,” which can only really be described as jubilant.

"Lonesome Dreams" - Lord Huron

The return of spring means the return to the outdoors, out from the house you’ve been sitting in since November. Lord Huron’s 2012 album captures that feeling, with songs like “Ends of the Earth” and “Lonesome Dreams,” being filled with a determination to get back out there. Furthermore, songs like “The Man Who Lives Forever” fuels the lust for life that often returns with warmer temperatures.

"Fine Line" - Harry Styles

Even the darkest songs on “Fine Line” sound light. Though depressing, songs like “Cherry” and “Falling” still feel like a breath of fresh air. That’s without mentioning songs like “Golden” and “Sunflower Vol. 6," which sounds like stepping into a warm spring day with a shining sun and a clear sky.

"Awfully Apeelin’" - The Happy Fits

While it’s an EP and not an album, it captures the feeling of spring so perfectly that it deserves a spot on this list. The bright ukulele and electric guitar of “Too Late” sounds like steadily rising temperatures. The spunky, thumping beat of “Dirty Imbecile” sounds like walking around in the sunshine. “Drink” sounds like a gloomy, rainy day in March dampening both your mood and the ground. The entirety of the EP encapsulates nothing but spring vibes. 

"Father of the Bride" - Vampire Weekend

Despite being plagued by dark themes of relationship issues, corruption of those in power and other heavy topics, the album remains instrumentally light and breezy, as seen in songs like “This Life” and “Harmony Hall.” The whole album sounds like a clear spring afternoon, which will definitely put you in the mood.

"Abbey Road" - The Beatles

"Abbey Road" feels like spring from every approach. Trippier songs like “Because” and “Sun King” sound like a foggy day after a rainstorm. Brighter songs like “Here Comes the Sun” and “Something” sound like a sunlit morning. Others like “Carry That Weight” and “Golden Slumbers” evoke images of cool cloudy days where it’s not quite cold and not quite warm. 

@alicia_szcz 

as589820@ohio.edu