Fresh Finds Friday: PVRIS talks femininity on "GODDESS;" Cordae and Anderson.PAAK tastes the nightlife in "Two Tens"

Happy Friday, Bobcats. Another week has come and gone. You know what the best part of my week is? Listening to new music. With that being said, it's always good to listen to some new tunes throughout the week and going into the weekend. Daniel Caesar, Sam Smith and others have dropped new music this past week. 

While everyone has their favorite genre of music, we’ve made a playlist that will appeal to any mood or preference. Below are new songs that are perfect for walking to class, working out at the gym, sitting around in your dorm or cranking out those last-minute papers. Here are 5 new songs to get you through the week:

“Gloria” by Sam Smith

If you were listening to the radio in the 2010s, you've heard of Sam Smith, the British singer/songwriter who released some of the hottest hits of that era, such as "Stay With Me" and "Too Good at Goodbyes.” Returning with their new album "Gloria," their fourth studio album has heavy gospel and choral music influences juxtaposed with LGBTQ+ acceptance in its message. “Gloria maps out the journey Smith has undertaken, from their past to now, as they're on the journey to self-acceptance.

“Do You Like Me” by Daniel Caesar

We all agree that feelings sometimes suck, especially complicated ones, and discovering love is an entirely different feeling than liking the person, which can often be problematic. In “Do You Like Me,” Caesar’s lyrics show the pain of the situation “Do you really like me? Yeah, we’re still young, but how many moons”?, “At First, I was f*cking your friend, But I wanted you.” It makes for a messy situation expressed best in the accompanying music video that shows Caesar entering an apartment with his potential love interest, who wonders where he’s been, which leads to a big fight, and eventually ends with Caesar being left alone. You can watch the video for yourself here.

“Two Tens” by Cordae, Anderson.Paak

So what happens when Cordae and Anderson. Paak teamed up on a J.Cole-produced beat, some would say "RNP' which was the last collaboration between the three and was good, but now it's all about "Two Tens." In "Two Tens,” Cordae and Paak go out to a fancy neon-lit bar and try to hit up all the pretty women, except Cordae is more so Warning Paak about the ups-and-downs and consequences of meeting girls at the bar. You can watch their night in the music video here. 

“Selfish” by slowthai

“Selfish” is a teaser track for slowthai’s upcoming album “UGLY” an abbreviation for “U Gotta Love Yourself” is due to release March 3 thru Method Records, on the song slowthai wrestles with feelings of guilt for not having time for friends and people around him, “I want to be there for them but I'm always striving, working, reaching further,” He said in a Yahoo interview.

“GODDESS” by PVRIS

Multi-instrumentalist Lyndsey Gunnulfsen forms the American Pop Rock act PVRIS. Recently, releasing their new single “GODDESS,” which fuses dance with guitar riffs to the likes of Muse, leading to an interesting abstract method of music-making. In a press release, Gunn says the song is “A celebration of femininity, all shapes and forms, and a cathartic, guttural scream at the same time.”

@destroyertroyer

wt005221@ohio.edu