Here are five ways to make your LinkedIn profile pop off

To many, LinkedIn is essentially the professional form of Instagram, but also a platform that most don’t know how to navigate or use at first. With internship season in full-swing, it’s important to step up your profile for this spring, even if you’re completely unsure where to get started.

Have no fear, here are five ways to make your LinkedIn profile pop off this semester:

Have a headshot

Do not use a photo from high school or one you would usually post on your social media. Your LinkedIn is supposed to look professional, not casual. Your profile picture is the first thing employers and colleagues see when they search you on LinkedIn, so it’s important to have a picture that casts you in a proper light. So, go to Schoonover Center and use the free headshot machine or have a friend take a headshot of you to help pull together your account. By taking this little step, you’ll look way more respectable and hard-working than beforehand.

Highlight your experience

Within your profile, there is a tab where you can list all of your work experience, inside and outside of college. In this section, make sure to include jobs, school organizations and past internships, as it will help you stand out in the future when applying for new opportunities. It’s okay if you don’t have a ton of experience, but it’s beneficial to at least state what you have done so that people can get a better read on you, as well as your personality and interests. By taking time to fill in this information, your profile won’t have a bunch of wasted space and you’ll be able to connect with others with similar backgrounds.

Utilize your ‘About’ section

The “About” section on your LinkedIn profile is one that many don’t think to fill out, as they believe their bio will save the day. In this section, make sure to state where you currently attend college, your major, minor and certificates, expected year of graduation and other minor facts such as the organizations you’re involved in. You can also go in-depth about your personality traits, as well as what you hope to achieve in the future. This can honestly go a long way, and those who look at your account can get a better idea of who you are and what your goals are.

Make sure to include an updated resume

An updated resume is another element you should integrate into your LinkedIn account. By including this, employers and colleagues can see your professional history without having to scroll too far down your profile. It’s easy and quick to do and can be added under your “Featured” section. A resume can also eliminate some of the hiring process for those who are searching you on LinkedIn, allowing them to find it when you send them your social media information. Overall, this small step will prove your professionalism and commitment to activities beyond college.

Stay active 

Make sure to post updates about your professional life on LinkedIn. This helps people see what you’re up to, as well as what you have accomplished. Keep LinkedIn bookmarked on your computer or phone, and make sure to enable email notifications in order to connect with others on the app. People love to see your achievements, and you can even stay active by commenting on others’ posts and updates. Updates can be about pretty much anything such as a new job, new position in an organization or a fundraising event. Basically, just stay active on LinkedIn to showcase your sympathy and excitement for others and for yourself.

grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu