Politics and Pop Culture: Massacre at Michigan State calls for gun reform

New year, new tragedy. Another community left devastated. More vigils to be held, at least three people to bury. And everyone is shocked. Why? I’m not. Today it was Michigan State, tomorrow it could be any one of us. 

Just a little over a year ago was the shooting at Oxford High School in Michigan that claimed the lives of four teens. And this week, many former Oxford students and survivors of the massacre were forced to relive the worst day of their lives, this time barricaded in their dorm rooms. Wake up, America. When does this end? Gun violence will keep happening so long as we do nothing to stop it. How many more parents have to bury their children over this? We have been at the mercy of guns for too long. It’s time to say “enough is enough” and start taking action against this national crisis. 

Gun control starts with the banning of all assault rifles and semi-automatic weapons. They only serve one purpose, and that is to kill. The majority of guns involved in mass shootings are purchased legally. Highland Park, Uvalde, Parkland- all massacres committed with a lawfully purchased firearm. The United States is responsible for 82% of all gun-related deaths in high-income countries, and 91% of all children killed by guns in said nations. In fact, firearm-related injuries have recently become the leading cause of death for people of ages 0-19, surpassing even motor vehicle crashes. 

In wielding a weapon like the AR-15, an active shooter can murder dozens of people within minutes. No one should have that kind of power over human life. 

Over 40,000 Americans are killed by guns every year, which averages to more than 110 people a day. These numbers are only rising. Americans are 25 times more likely to be killed by a gun than in other high-income countries, including the United Kingdom, Italy, France and Australia. The United States has the most guns yet the weakest regulation over gun ownership. 

For every 100 Americans, there are 120 guns. That means there are more guns in the United States than there are people. This is an absurd number, and it is representative of the large number of gun-related incidents in the U.S. compared to other countries. Every American is likely to, at some point in their lifetime, know a victim of gun violence

Of course, many people own guns for self defense purposes, but the risks associated with gun ownership far outweigh the possibility of ever actually being able to use a firearm to defend yourself in a dangerous situation. Yes, you might feel safer with a gun in your possession, but the risk of fatality in situations that would call for self defense is far more likely when there is a gun present. Although there are cases in which people successfully defend themselves with a firearm, it is a rarity. For every “justifiable” gun death, i.e. a criminal killed in self defense, 34 innocent people are murdered via gun.  

The only other argument that gun defenders have is the Second Amendment, a moot point. I am arguing what ought to be, not what is. The Constitution should not be the end all be all, as the Founding Fathers are not living in 2023. Things have changed, and we need to adapt. Rights come to an end when they infringe upon the rights of others. The Second Amendment is a threat to the inalienable rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. When parents have started to send their children to school with bulletproof inserts stuffed into their bookbags, there is a clear and present threat to the right to life, which is of utmost importance and should take precedence over everything else.

Pro-gun is selfish. As U.S. citizens, we have the ability to fix the epidemic that is gun violence. It’s time to step up and demand a ban on assault rifles and semi-automatic firearms. If you truly value guns over human life, you are just as bad as the people committing these heinous acts, and you have the blood of every single gun victim on your hands.

Brianna is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the opinions expressed in this article do not represent those of The Post. Want to talk to Brianna? Email her at bt977520@ohio.edu.