Ohio University's Yaya Felder (2) shoots a free throw against Ball State at the Convocation Center on Jan. 28, 2023.

Women's Basketball: Ohio looks for redemption against Northern Illinois this weekend

Ohio (4-18, 2-9 Mid-American Conference) once again is looking for their first home win of the season as they welcome Northern Illinois (12-10, 4-7 MAC) to The Convo this weekend.

Since 2011, Ohio is 10-9 against the team from DeKalb, Illinois. While Ohio does hold a slight lead in the recent series, it has lost the last three games against the Huskies. Here is everything you need to know about this weekend’s matchup.

Game Information

Opponent: Northern Illinois

Time: 1 p.m.

Location: The Convo

Meet the Opponent

Head Coach: Lisa Carlsen (eighth season)

Probable Starters

02 Sidney McRea

03 Jayden Marable

10 Chelby Koker

25 A’Jah Davis

32 Laura Nickel

Things to know

• While their 4-7 MAC record doesn't show it, Northern Illinois has been playing strong basketball as of late, winning two straight against Buffalo and Akron. Northern Illinois beat Akron handily by a score 88-63.
  • Northern Illinois ranks in the middle of the pack in the MAC in scoring margin at exactly 1.0. This is a stark contrast to Ohio's -10.5 margin. 
  • In Northern Illinois's last game, Koker dropped 27 points on 7-9 from three and 10-14 from the field. Koker is the leading scorer for the Huskies and ranks seventh in the MAC in scoring, just above her teammate A'Jah Davis. Koker and Davis average 16 and 15.3 points respectively. 
  • Keys to the game:

Ohio scored just 44 points for the third time this season Wednesday, with two of those coming in conference play. Unusually, they have struggled shooting at home and are currently 0-9 at The Convo. When shots fall for Ohio, the confidence is contagious for a young team.