Ankita Bansode Headshot Answers from Ankita

Answers with Ankita: The Unspoken Affection in Asian Homes

Growing up in an Asian household, I always knew that my parents loved me deeply, even though they didn't often say the words out loud. Instead, they showed their affection through their actions, which spoke volumes about their love for me and my sibling.

Although this style of expressing love may seem unusual to those from Western cultures, it is prevalent throughout Asia and is deeply ingrained in the cultural values of many families. This cultural difference is rooted in the idea that actions speak louder than words, and that love should be expressed through gestures rather than through verbal communication.

As a child growing up in this environment, it can be difficult to understand and appreciate these subtle expressions of love. It may even lead to feelings of neglect or a lack of emotional connection between parents and their children. However, it is essential to understand that the absence of verbal communication does not equate to a lack of love.

My mother would memorize our favorite recipes and surprise us with food and my father, who was in the military, would take us to good restaurants even when he couldn't afford it or surprise us with a visit when we least expected it. These actions demonstrated their love for me and my brother and left a lasting impact on us.

As a child, it wasn't always easy to understand my parents' way of expressing love. I longed to hear them say the words, "I love you." But as I grew older, I came to appreciate the depth of their love for me, even if it wasn't always expressed in words.

Since moving to the United States, distance has become a big part of how we communicate. However, my parents have found ways to adapt to these new circumstances and continue to express their love and affection in different ways. My mother calls me to remind me of my values and goals and to ask me to take care of myself, while my father sends me notes of appreciation. Although their way of expressing love has changed, the underlying sentiment has remained the same, and their unwavering love has continued to strengthen our bonds as a family.

Reflecting on the ways in which families express love, one can appreciate the cultural nuances that shape our experiences. It becomes evident that love can be conveyed in various ways, and that it is not always necessary to use words to express our feelings. For individuals who grew up with different cultural backgrounds, understanding and appreciating the subtle expressions of love shown by their parents can be challenging. However, one can recognize that actions can speak louder than words, and that love can be demonstrated in ways that are unique to one's cultural identity.

Although the expression of love may differ across cultures, the importance of showing love and affection remains universal. As we navigate through different cultural environments, it is important to recognize and appreciate the unique ways in which love is expressed. By doing so, we can foster stronger relationships with our loved ones and celebrate the diversity that makes our world a beautiful and vibrant place.

Ankita Bansode is a sophomore studying economics and mathematical statistics at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Tell Ankita by emailing her at ab890621@ohio.edu.