Chief of Staff, Molly Pennington, left, listens to Treasurer, Trinity Robinson, right, at the student senate meeting in Walter Hall on Wednesday, Sept. 14 2022.

Student Senate encourages diversity engagement, pushes purchase of safe-sex items

Student Senate heard a presentation from Salome Nnoromele, interim vice president of Diversity and Inclusion, and Maria Modayil, COVID-19 epidemiologist, about OU’s diversity efforts at its meeting Wednesday night. 

Diversity and Inclusion’s presentation pertained to a university-wide diversity audit, part of an ongoing research process, which started in the summer of 2022 as a result of racial incidents on campus and subsequent student protests.

The goal of the diversity audit is to provide metrics for how diverse OU is as well as people’s experience with racial incidents. 

“We wanted to do an external audit to give us a much more comprehensive, as well as an objective, view into how we’re doing,” said Modayil. 

The presentation concluded with encouragement of students to visit engagement sessions for more in-depth discussions. Sessions are capped at 40 people per session, and registration for the sessions can be done online. Coffee shop gift cards will be given to attendees.

Two sessions will occur on Feb. 22 from 10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m., and the second runs from 3:30 p.m. to 4:45 p.m.

Two sessions will occur on Feb. 23, the first running from 4:15 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. and the second from 6:15 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

One session will occur on Friday, Feb. 24, from 10:45 a.m. to 12 p.m.

Following the presentation, Senate moved to pass resolutions pertaining to purchases of goods to be handed out at Senate tabling events held outside Baker University Center.

Some debate arose when Women’s Affairs Commissioner, Megan Handle, presented a resolution to purchase $2,390 worth of safe-sex supplies. The proposed items were contraceptives, pregnancy test strips, period products, LED alarm keychains, drink spiking prevention scrunchies and lubricant, as well as more general items such as tote bags and stickers.

“This is an important and very tangible way to show support for our students,” Handle said. 

Clay Lewis, university life commissioner, was concerned about liability risk if any of the purchased items turned out to be faulty.

Lewis proposed that Senate move to table the resolution, but only two senators, including Lewis, voted to do so, and the resolution was subsequently passed.

Chief of staff, Molly Pennington, called the resolution “a shameless, non-judgmental way” to get ahold of items that will make sexual activity safer and more comfortable for students.

Senate also moved to fill vacant positions. William Zanotelli was appointed an Associate Justice, Sukhraj Kaur was appointed College of Arts and Sciences Senator, and Garrett Beam was appointed Academic Affairs Vice Commissioner.

@jack_solon

js573521@ohio.edu