Top five of the best couples from TV, books or movies

With Valentine’s Day on the horizon, it’s the perfect time of the year to reflect on the best fictional couples from iconic TV shows, movies and books. Whether you’re a fan of the best friends turned lovers trope or the unrequited love fantasy, even if you hate the holiday, you can’t say there isn’t one couple that doesn’t come to mind.

With so many iconic couples to choose from, here are the top five best from TV, books or movies:

Jim and Pam from “The Office”

Obviously, Jim and Pam are the ultimate TV couple, and you can fight me otherwise. Their heartfelt transition from friends to distant acquaintances to lovers is one of the best examples of character development within “The Office,” and the two’s on-screen chemistry is simply unmatched. Played by John Krasinski and Jenna Fischer, Jim and Pam have romantic moments that most dream of, from a chaotic wedding in Niagara Falls to a gas-station proposal, proving that even in the midst of absurdity and inappropriate work conduct their love for one another stays at the forefront.

Jo and Laurie from “Little Women”

Even though some may not count Jo March and Laurie Laurence from Louisa May Alcott’s “Little Women” as a couple, I do. There’s no doubt that the two share a lot of chemistry, especially as they mirror each other in terms of style and mannerisms throughout the novel. Laurie’s tender nature and Jo’s strong sense of self may cause conflict for the two, aka in the tragic yet iconic hill scene, but their love for one another, even if it doesn’t end in an accepted marriage proposal, is displayed otherwise through the letters Jo writes to Laurie and the night he invites her out to a play. Also, in the most recent adaptation of the novel, Saoirse Ronan and Timotheé Chalamet truly bring these characters and their bond to life, making the argument for this couple much stronger.

Gwen Stacy and Peter Parker from “The Amazing Spider-Man”

Some may be mad that I included a Marvel movie in this mix of couples, but Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield’s chemistry as Gwen Stacy and Peter Parker from “The Amazing Spider-Man” is another significant couple to look at. Even though many may not love Garfield’s spin on Parker, he still is the nerdy heartthrob who you can’t help but root for, especially as he tries to win over Stacy throughout the film. The two are known for their intense love affair not only in the film, but in the Spiderman comics as well, and it’s clear that these two are famous for their candidness, witty sense of humor and passion for one another.

Janine and Gregory from “Abbott Elementary”

Currently in ABC’s “Abbott Elementary,” teachers Janine Teagues and Gregory Eddie are caught in an awkward stage of their friendship, as it’s evident that both have feelings for one another, even if they do try to distract themselves from this notion by dating other people. Yet, everyone has been rooting for this couple all throughout Season Two, with many hoping for a resolution between the two. These characters’ awkwardness is what makes them perfect for one another, as well as Janine’s constant go-getter attitude and Gregory’s reserved manner. All in all, they’re basically in a Jim and Pam situation from “The Office,” not willing to acknowledge their blatant chemistry.

Connell and Marianne from “Normal People”

If you haven’t seen one of Hulu’s best shows, then you’ve really been missing out on “Normal People.” The devastating show is a painful watch, especially as actors Paul Mescal and Daisy Edgar-Jones go back and forth from strangers to friends to lovers as Connell and Marianne. What makes this couple so special is the way they know each other so well. Connell sees Marianne as someone who is intelligent and confident, while others see her as awkward and an outcast. Meanwhile, Marianne sees Connell as a shy and kind person, while others view him as a popular rugby player. The two are the definition of opposites attract, but throughout the show, it becomes known that nothing can pull them away from each other, no matter how hard they try.

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu