Dori, Interrupted: Tuck in your hair, thank me later

New York's hottest club is Turtleneck Hair, named after the elevated, built-in accessory of off-duty models. It has everything: unexpected glam, tucked-in tresses and enigmatic appeal. 

Though articles regarding the phenomenon were more prevalent in the mid-to-late 2010s due to the style's popularity on runways and Olivia Palermo, "turtleneck hair" is very much alive and well. It's a hairstyle without much styling. Simply put, one's hair remains loosely tucked into the turtleneck or neckline.

"It's the beauty equivalent of throwing a jacket over your shoulders," wrote Allure.

The key to rocking turtleneck hair, also known as "the hair tuck," is to not overthink it. The fashion enthusiasts who get it, get it. When explaining how to achieve turtleneck hair to StyleCaster, hair stylist Steven DeCarlo said the tucked-in hair should almost look like a mistake. Allowing a few strategic flyaways to frame the face will only benefit.

Elle attributes the origin of turtleneck hair to the runway stylists of either Givenchy or Alexander Wang. Riccardo Tisci's Autumn/Winter 2007/08 Ready-to-Wear collection for Givenchy featured multiple models with manes notably tucked into their garments. The look has also been seen on the runways of Tory BurchTom FordMary KatrantzouNina Ricci and more.

I noticed tucked-in hair in occasional street-style photographs, but it was the model Jasmine Tookes who pushed me to look further into the style. In an outfit inspiration video on TikTok, Tookes specifically noted a penchant for keeping her hair tucked into her clothing. She opts for sleek locks under loose blazers and long trench coats "to add a little bit more chicness," Tookes said.

She had my attention.

Determined to test the user-friendliness and transferability of the hair tuck, I attempted the style with my medium-length box braids and a cowl neck sweater. I cannot lie, I immediately felt more sophisticated, like I was in on an upscale secret. Though longer hair would work best, my braids got the job done, and I reveled in my newfound elegant aura.

Stylishness aside, turtleneck hair (or a variation) could become a go-to for bad hair days. A study by HairRx showed that almost 80% of middle-aged women's self-perception can be impacted by their hair. This quick and painless style has the potential to boost confidence.

The hair tuck works on different hair textures and allows your hair to double as a scarf, which is perfect for cooler weather. Vogue also cited the technique as a way to cosplay a bob haircut. If feeling incredibly adventurous, the hair tuck can be accomplished with necklaces or scarves.

In the end, turtleneck hair is versatile and harmless. Next time you pull a shirt over your head, resist the urge to pull the ends of your hair out. Try it, you might like it.

Dori Gray is a senior journalism major at Ohio University. Please note that the ideas expressed in this column do not reflect those of The Post. Want to chat with Dori? Tweet her @dorigraywrites.