5 of the best books for spring

As the weather continues to change, more and more students will be flocking to College Green with a picnic blanket and novel in hand. For those who are looking for recommendations of books suited to spring, we have assembled a list of the top five reads that emulate the ease and warmth of the season. 

“Anne of Green Gables” by Lucy Maud Montgomery

The story of young and free Anne Shirley is a fan-favorite for all ages. In the Canadian classic, young orphan Anne is adopted by a pair of old siblings who had sought to adopt a boy who could help out on their farm, and the ensuing drama and humor result in an endearing story. The main character is imaginative, fierce, caring and the human personification of springtime. The story will warm your heart, make you laugh and offer a welcomed perspective about seizing new friendships, opportunities and passions. 

“Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland” by Lewis Carroll

Lewis Carroll’s classic psychedelic novel is home to one of the world's most beloved stories and most iconic characters. Alice is a young, naive girl who falls into an absurd and overwhelming world where caterpillars talk, cats disappear into trees and queens are merciless. “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland” is an easy and fun read that will awaken your inner child, remind you of the joys of the natural world and assure you that a little madness makes for a more interesting existence. 

“Middlemarch” by Geroge Eliot

While this novel is certainly a much more intense read than the previous two recommendations, it is a manageable read for anyone. George Eliot’s lofty and ironic style translates seamlessly into this 19th century classic, despite the modern themes making it unlike any other Victorian novel. The themes of marriage and occupation are written about in a painfully realistic way, and Eliot’s rejection of the idea that female authors must incorporate happy endings into their stories guaranteed Eliot a spot as one of the most influential feminist writers of history.

“Where the Red Fern Grows” by Wilson Rawls

While “Where the Red Fern Grows” is advertised as a children's novel, it is a story that transcends generations. The story is narrated by an old man looking back at a highlight of his childhood, when he and his two dogs dominated the hunting scene in the early 20th century Ozarks. The heart-wrenching story of adolescence and dedication is one that can be enjoyed by all ages, and will encourage you to not take for granted that which you care about.

“Still Life with Woodpecker” by Tom Robbins

If you are a lover of postmodernism and Kurt Vonnegut-esque writing, this book is for you. “Still Life With Woodpecker” is a vibrant and wild rendition of the unlikely lovers trope, in which an environmentalist princess and an outlaw grapple with their complicated relationship. Tom Robbins writes about the human condition in a primal and ridiculous way, and his style will keep you engaged and delighted from start to finish. 

@sophia.rooksberry

sr320421@ohio.edu