How to plan the best summer trip on a budget

Summer is just around the corner, with all its experiences and adventures waiting to be had. For those looking to plan an exciting summer trip, but want to be as cost-efficient as possible, here is a guide to planning exactly that kind of excursion. 

A general tip is to be selective about trip locations so that you don’t find yourself overwhelmed while traveling. As tempting as it may be to see as many places as possible, it’s better to give yourself enough time in each location so that you’re not exhausted and end up seeing more of the highway strip than the actual destination. 

In terms of finding activities within cities, it is best to do research beforehand. For example, if you visit a museum’s website in advance, you are almost certain to find deals for specific days. Many local sites will also offer student discounts, so plan accordingly. 

Whether traveling overseas or in the states, there are several affordable transportation options. The public transportation options in many European countries and major American cities are definite ways to save money while getting around quickly. If you plan to fly to your destination, book your plane tickets as soon as possible. While some argue that there are cheaper times of day to book plane tickets, that fact cannot be guaranteed, so it is best to book tickets soon. Apps like Hopper and trivago can help you determine the sweet spot in the ticket-buying timeline.   

While you don’t want to sleep in a bed-bug-ridden sty, staying in a less extravagant youth hostel or motel can also be preferable to save some money. However, be sure to look at reviews in advance to ensure that the location will be bearable enough to warrant the extra saved money. 

While it isn’t always possible, do your best to stay with family or friends at every possible location. If money is extra tight, planning a trip surrounding that kind of lodging opportunity might even be convenient. 

If possible, try not to eat out at every meal. While one of the best parts of travel is trying the restaurants and local cuisine, it is also totally acceptable to do some cheap grocery shopping and cook a meal wherever you are staying. This can also involve buying picnic food and bringing it to an outdoor spot you want to visit during your trip. 

With some more research, it is even possible to find travel experiences that pay. The National Parks Service offers summer internships that allow you to explore the area and work for a stipend and lodging, depending on location. If you can find a host family, you could trade room and board for your services as an au pair.  

Part of the fun of a vacation is exploring the area with no schedule or plan, which often comes with the territory of cheap travel. With the right mentality, even the most frugally planned vacation can be the best of your life. 

@sophiarooks_ 

sr320421@ohio.edu