Phi Beta Sigma holds a probate ceremony at Morton Hall to honor the induction of three new members on March 24, 2023, in Athens, Ohio. (Pearl Spurlock | For The Post)

NPHC organizations create unity

The National Pan-Hellenic Council, commonly referred to as the Divine Nine, was chartered on May 10, 1930, and is now alive and well on the campus of Ohio University. It is the governing body of nine historically Black fraternities and sororities.  

The NPHC houses are Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated, Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Incorporated, Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated, Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Incorporated, Omega Psi Phi, Fraternity, Incorporated, Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Incorporated and Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Incorporated. 

House Bill 999, which is currently circulating the Florida courts, aims to dissolve Diversity, Equity and Inclusion programming and organizations in its public universities. 

The bill denounces anything in relation to social activism which directly threatens the existence of NPHC organizations on public Florida university campuses. 

Members of NPHC at OU are stressing the importance and impact of their organizations on campus.

The Epsilon Lambda Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Incorporated has initiated its Spring 2023 line, The S.O.N.S ANARKHY, after not bringing in any new members since Fall 2021. 

Devon Taylor, a senior studying integrated health sciences, joined the fraternity as a member of the Fall 2021 line, The Heartbreak Trilogy. He is currently the sitting president of his chapter and served as the new line's dean. 

The latest line of Kappa's is made up of seven young men: Andrew Owusu, Donovan Billingsley, Chad White Jr., Christopher Manning Jr., Jireh Burton, Osahon Ogbebor and Joshua Smith. 

"Man, I love those guys," Taylor said. "Each one of them has a certain value about themselves that shows that young, enthusiastic need and want for success." 

The motto of Kappa Alpha Psi is "achievement in every field of human endeavor." Taylor feels like each of the seven new members embodies the organization's motto in a special way. 

Each of the Divine 9 organizations encapsulates a motto that stimulates growth and advancement. That of Delta Sigma Theta is "Intelligence is the torch of wisdom." 

Re'Aija Grice, a senior studying exercise physiology, is the treasurer for the Epsilon Iota chapter of Delta Sigma Theta. 

Grice grew up in a low-income, single-parent household, but being of service to others was always important for her. 

"My mother always taught me that whatever I do in life, I always need to give back to my people and my community, and never forget where I came from," Grice said. 

The principle of service is of high importance to the sorority, especially pertaining to the Black community. 

"I knew that I wanted to join an organization that aligned with my personal values (of) giving back to my community, the Black community specifically, … (and) empowering and uplifting the marginalized communities that we have in our world," Grice said. 

In addition to Delta Sigma Theta's work for communal advancement, Alpha Kappa Alpha works to serve all mankind through its endeavors. 

Mylan Foster, a senior studying communication studies, is the current vice president and treasurer of the Delta Phi chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha. 

Foster stresses the importance of creating positive spaces for young women on campus through her involvement with the sorority. 

"It has helped me become a really good mentor, especially for the younger women on campus," Foster said. "I definitely love to be of service to them to help them grow.”

NPHCGreekLife_Spurlock

The presence of NPHC on the campus of a predominantly white institution curates opportunities for marginalized communities to come together and be supported.

"I think that it's really important for students at PWIs to see and understand that people who don't look like them, who aren't the majority, are putting in the work on campus and in their community," Foster said.

The members of the Delta Phi chapter, including Foster, Cydney Granger and Darian Andrews, are a part of something much greater than themselves.

"I would say the women of my organization are remarkable," Foster said. "The women of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated never fall short of doing something big. Whenever an AKA walks in the room, you know that she's there, and they are the kind of women that make their presence known so that they can be of service to you."

NPHC as a whole is striving to cultivate community and progress on campus, in Athens county, across the country and truly around the globe.

"Show the NPHC organizations on your campus, the love and flowers that they deserve," Foster said. "I think it's important to recognize that not only do we advocate for social change and what's going on in the world right now, but we constantly advocate for ourselves, and that shouldn't go unnoticed."

The Divine 9 plans to continue encouraging and creating advancement, positivity, progress and so much more through their efforts, but they will not be able to if HB 999 and similar bills pass throughout the U.S. 

“Let's actually get to know (NPHC), step out of our comfort zone and learn about these different communities, organizations, and people before we decide to make decisions and try to get rid of them,” Grice said.

kb1533621@ohio.edu