OU defense Spencer Schons (16) takes control of the puck during the Bobcats' last home game in Bird Ice Arena on Feb. 25, 2023 in Athens, Ohio.

Hockey: Ohio loses 8-5 in the ACHA tournament semifinals

Ohio's season didn't end on the high note it had hoped for. Despite a solid effort at mounting a comeback, Ohio ultimately fell to Adrian 8-5 in the semifinals of the American Collegiate Hockey Association national tournament. Ohio still had one of its best seasons yet, evidenced by its No. 2 seed heading into the tournament, compared to last year's No. 15.  

Here are all the numbers to know from Ohio's loss

5

What ultimately led to Ohio's downfall was the five goals scored by Adrian in the second period. After the Bulldog's Matteo DiGiulio scored six minutes into the period, the rally continued, giving the Bulldogs a virtually insurmountable lead. Hollander Thompson and Laker Aldridge put up two goals during the period as well, but it wasn't enough.

9

Ohio has nine graduating seniors this year, and they were named the nine "stars of the game" after the semifinals. Senior and team captain Sam Turner scored the overtime goal against Niagara that sent the Bobcats to the semifinals, while Ryan Hastings and Andrew Wells played key roles in the latter half of the season.

29

The Bulldogs earned 29 penalty minutes across all three periods compared to the Bobcats' six. The Bobcats tend to be a more physical team, but their recent efforts to avoid penalty trouble have helped them create more offensive action. 

14

The Bobcats capitalized on one of seven, or 14%, of the power play opportunities they were given against the Bulldogs. Their inability to find the goal during the power played a big role in the Bobcats not taking the victory.

@ErionEmma 

ee646020@ohio.edu

Emma Erion

Managing Editor