Ohio finished its season 17-10 in Mid-American Conference play and earned a bid to the 2022 MAC Tournament. Ohio was led by several All-MAC nominees. 

Softball: Ohio travels to take on Marshall on Wednesday

When and Where

Ohio (6-10) is traveling to Huntington, West Virginia, to face Marshall (16-3) on Wednesday, March 8, at 2:30 p.m. 

Tale of the Tape

The Bobcats bounced back after the slow start to the season by putting together the best record out of the four teams at Eastern Kentucky’s Colonel Classic at 3-1. The Bobcats will have to keep up the momentum to beat a strong Marshall team that is ranked fifth in the NCAA in batting average at .363. 

The Thundering Herd is led by Autumn Owen, who is currently first on the team in average at .481, home runs with 10 and RBI with 30. Owen is also in the top five in the NCAA in both Home Runs and RBI.

Ohio will have to be at its best defensively to stay close to Marshall’s high-powered offense. That will mostly come down to pitching between Skipp Miller (3-4, 2.43 ERA) and Kylie Coffelt (3-4, 4.17 ERA). It won’t be surprising to see both of them appear in Wednesday’s game as Miller has pitched in 10 games this season and Coffelt has pitched in 12. 

On the other side, Marshall has a strong rotation with Sydney Nester (10-2, 1.25 ERA) at the helm. Nester is supported by Savannah Rice (4-0) and Bub Feringa (1-0), one of the Sun Belt’s best utility players, who is also batting .435 with 26 RBIs with her 0.00 ERA in 3.2 innings pitched. 

Series History

Ohio and Marshall have played 12 games over the past 10 seasons, with half of those games ending with a difference of a single run. Marshall has controlled the series, winning eight of the 12 games since 2013.

Expect another highly competitive game between these two teams as the Bobcats travel to face the Thundering Herd. 

jc628121@ohio.edu