OU forward Christian Alberston (71) fights for the puck up agathe glass during the Bobcats' last home game in Bird Ice Arena on Feb. 25, 2023 in Athens, Ohio.

Hockey: Ohio advances in ACHA national tournament after win against Illinois State

Ohio is advancing in the American Collegiate Hockey Association Tournament after taking down No. 15 Illinois State in an offensively uneventful matchup. The Bobcats were victorious with a 1-0 score after Luc Reeve knocked in the only goal of the evening in the opening minutes of the third period.

Here are all the numbers you need to know from the tournament's first round.

3

The Bobcats didn’t score their first goal of the evening until the third period. There was not a single point on the board until then, which was an unusual feat for the Bobcats, who nearly always manage to find the goal within the first period.

4

Ohio only accrued four penalty minutes throughout the entire game, despite having some other penalty-filled matchups recently. The Bobcats toned down their physicality for a while, as being sent to the box repeatedly was proving to be costly on both sides of the puck. This was the case against Illinois State, and it paid off as Ohio took home a victory

23

Illinois State only had 23 total shots on goal, a testament to Ohio’s ability to keep the puck away from its own goal. Justin Damon had an impressive performance, producing yet another shutout for the Bobcats.

2

Luc Reeve is currently the second-leading scorer in the ACHA, and his ability to find the net showed Friday when he scored the game-winning goal for the Bobcats. He has proved to be an offensive weapon for the Bobcats time and time again, and that appears not to be changing in tournament play.

@ErionEmma

ee646020@ohio.edu

Emma Erion

Managing Editor