Ankita Bansode Headshot Answers from Ankita

Answers with Ankita: The murder of Abby Choi sheds light on the rising violence against women

Trigger Warning: This column discusses domestic violence and murder.

Violence against women is a global problem that has been on the rise, with recent reports indicating a 25% to 33% increase in domestic violence cases worldwide. This growing trend is particularly concerning when it comes to violence perpetrated by intimate partners. The tragic case of Abby Choi from Hong Kong, whose dismembered remains were discovered in a refrigerator and a soup pot, is just one example of the horrific violence that women can face at the hands of those closest to them.

Choi was a 28-year-old Hong Kong model and influencer who was reportedly involved in a multi-million-dollar dispute with her ex-husband and former in-laws before her gruesome death. Her murder has been linked to her ongoing legal battle with her ex-husband and his family, highlighting the dangerous consequences that can arise from domestic disputes.

The alleged perpetrators of Abby Choi's murder, including her ex-husband's family members, have been arrested and charged. However, this is just one case out of many, and the larger issue of violence against women remains a pressing concern.

It's important to recognize that violence against women is not limited to physical abuse. It can take many forms, including emotional, psychological and sexual abuse. While not all cases of violence against women involve intimate partners, those who are closest to victims often have the greatest access and opportunity to perpetrate abuse.

The growing rate of femicide, or the killing of women simply because they are women, in the United States and around the world is a matter of great concern and one that demands our immediate attention. Sima Bahouse, the United Nations Women executive director, said “Behind every femicide statistic is the story of an individual woman or girl who has been failed. These deaths are preventable—the tools and the knowledge to do so already exist. Women’s rights organizations are already monitoring data and advocating for policy change and accountability. Now we need the concerted action across society that will fulfill women’s and girls’ right to feel and to be safe, at home, on the streets, and everywhere.”

Especially in countries with regressive values, women suffer. Hood feminism is a concept that has gained significant traction in recent years, and for good reason. It highlights the experiences and struggles of women from marginalized communities and sheds light on the unique challenges they face in a patriarchal society. One of the most concerning issues facing women from less privileged backgrounds is the phenomenon of honor killings.

Honor killings are a brutal and senseless form of violence used to punish women who are deemed to have brought shame to their families or communities. These killings are often carried out by male family members who feel that their honor has been tarnished by the actions of the women in their families.

What is especially disturbing is that honor killings are often supported by the wider community, who view them as a way to uphold cultural traditions and protect the honor of the family. However, it is important to note that honor killings are not a problem specific to certain cultures or religions. They are a global phenomenon that occurs in many different societies, including in Western countries. In fact, honor killings have been reported in the U.S., Canada and Europe.

Femicides are a tragic and systemic issue that requires a multifaceted approach to reduce and prevent them. It is crucial to understand that blaming women for the violence they experience is not a solution. Instead, it is essential to focus on measures that hold perpetrators accountable for their actions and challenge the cultural and social norms that perpetuate violence against women.

One approach that can be effective in collecting and analyzing data on gender-based violence is to create specialized task forces and agencies to prosecute abusers and provide support to victims, such as emergency centers for women and hotlines for victims of violence against women. This data can help diagnose, reduce and prevent violence, including lethal violence.

However, reducing femicides requires changing cultural and social norms. Patriarchal ideology and traditional values that perpetuate violence against women must be challenged, and gender equality must be promoted. It is also important to take a close look at the role of religion in society and media coverage of femicide and violence against women. By dismantling harmful cultural and social norms, we can create a more equitable society that values the safety and well-being of all its members.

Ankita Bansode is a sophomore studying economics and mathematical statistics at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Tell Ankita by emailing her at ab890621@ohio.edu