Lillian’s Lowdown: We don’t need Meta verified

On Feb. 19, Meta announced that it will be testing Meta Verified, a subscription bundle for Instagram and Facebook. This comes after the launch of Twitter’s subscription model, Twitter Blue, which has been widely criticized for allowing misinformation and for being largely useless to those who purchased it. This subscription-based model for social media verification is shaping up to be a mistake. 

The current plan for Meta’s paid verification trial is to charge a monthly $11.99 subscription for profiles on desktop and $14.99 for profiles on mobile devices. No changes will be made to accounts that are already verified. The new subscription bundle seems to be available to anyone who is 18 or older, has some activity on their account and can prove their identity by providing identification. 

Meta is trying to anticipate the backlash that Twitter received and avoid making the same mistakes by promising that the service will protect subscribers from impersonation, an issue that was so prominent under Twitter Blue that it may have caused some stocks to fall.

While Meta’s plan to establish a paid verification system tries to avoid the pitfalls of Twitter Blue, the plan itself doesn’t exactly promise success. Meta owns some of the biggest social media platforms. Monetizing a basic feature that was previously only reserved for noteworthy people, a move that was already controversial on Twitter, will only make users want to leave their go-to social media app. Not only that, but the subscription prices are higher than Twitter Blue’s, which charges $8 a month. 

Meta Verified’s prices are even higher than some popular streaming services, like Apple TV, which charges $6.99 per month, and Disney+, which charges $10.99 per month for ad-free streaming. I’m not exactly a fan of subscription streaming services either, but at least they offer a library of videos. Meta is only offering to tweak the algorithm in your favor a little and put a checkmark next to your name. 

In fact, Meta locks some basic features until after you sign up for Meta Verified. Currently, the subscription plan will only allow you to display your real name on your profile and will not permit you to change it. If you prefer to be anonymous online but also want your account verified, you have to first sacrifice your privacy. Changing your username or profile picture is out of the question, too, unless you want to go through the verification process again. Basically, signing up for Meta Verified only gives you less freedom while also draining your bank account. 

Here’s my prediction: Meta Verified, at least in the state it’s in now, is going to fail. It’s going to make mistakes and cause controversy just like Twitter Blue. A service that takes away more features than it gives is unlikely to appeal to users. If Meta wants to rake in some extra cash, emulating a system that was already unpopular on a different large platform is not the way to go.

Lillian Barry is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to share your thoughts? Let Lillian know by tweeting her at @lillianbarry_.