Underground Roundup: Jukebox the Ghost, The Night Cafe, Crawlers and The National Parks

As the same artists cycle through the charts with similar-sounding songs, it’s easy to feel drowned in the monotony and seek out new sounds for a change of musical scenery. As a result, we have compiled a couple of artists that exist outside the same few dominating the charts, offering you some fresher sounds.

Jukebox the Ghost

The trio “Jukebox the Ghost” embraces a slightly unorthodox approach to music. They do this by combining jazzy piano tunes with traditional rock elements to create a type of music akin to songs from musicals and plays that their Spotify page defines as ‘piano-rock.’ This meshing of modern and vintage styles creates a quirky yet groovy instrumental for all of their songs, which also find a dichotomy in their lyrics as well, ranging from love songs like "Girl" and "Fred Astaire," to slightly more off-putting and quirky songs like "Under My Skin"

Most recommended track: "Wasted"

The Night Cafe

British indie pop group The Night Cafe takes full advantage of their nocturnal name and association by crafting smooth, rich sounds drenched in reverb driven by equally smooth vocals. Songs such as "You Change With the Seasons" and “Mixed Signals” take a brighter, poppier approach marked by electric guitars and drums driving the song, despite the more depressing subject matter of the messy aftermath of endings to relationships. Others, though, embrace a polished, velvety sound, such as in "Endless Lovers" and "Turn," marked by steady guitar riffs and lower, warm vocals. 

Most recommended track: "Addicted"

Crawlers

First reaching the mainstream through TikTok with their song “Come Over Again,” English rock band Crawlers are an emo band for the new generation. The group takes an angsty, grungy approach to their music, often detailing darker topics like addiction, self destructive behaviors and issues in sexuality and toxic relationships, such as in their songs "F*** Me (I Didn't Know How to Say)" and "I Don't Want It". This is reflected in the instrumentals of their songs marked by heavy guitars and aggressive drumming, as well as emotional vocals from lead vocalist Holly Minto.

Most recommended track: "Come Over Again"

The National Parks

The National Parks wholeheartedly embrace their American West origin in their music, which often uses the beauty of the outdoors and their namesake as motifs in the lyrics, as seen in songs like "Angels", which heavily alludes to Angel’s Landing, a popular hiking spot in Zion National Park, which is also referenced in the song. They also often embrace a dramatic style in their music to emphasize the dramatic landscapes they describe, such as "As We Ran," which uses violin, guitar and drums as driving instruments to create that feeling. Others, though, are much more toned down, such as "Garden," which embraces a much quieter, reserved style. 

Most recommended track: "History Channel"

@alicia_szcz

as589820@ohio.edu