Sophomore Emma Hoffner (7) catches a missed pitch at the game against Ball State on April 2, 2023, in Athens, Ohio. (Megan VanVlack | For The Post)

Softball: Ohio looks to add to win streak at Central Michigan

As Ohio tries to follow up an incredibly impressive victory over Ohio State, it turns its attention to Central Michigan (14-17, 4-4 Mid-American Conference). The active 10-game win streak is approaching historic territory. The program record for consecutive victories in a given season is 11, meaning that Ohio could set a new record this weekend. 

After Skipp Miller threw 126 pitches Tuesday night against the Buckeyes, Kylie Coffelt can be expected to handle a decent amount of the load for the Bobcats in the circle. 

Here is the information for the series in Mount Pleasant, Michigan:

Series Information

Opponent: Central Michigan

Venue: Margo Jonker Stadium

Dates and Times: April 7 at 3 p.m. and April 8 at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.

The series’ livestream can be found here

Live stats for the series can be found here

Meet the opponent

Individual statistical leaders

Batting average: Abbey Tolmie (.418)

OPS: Michaleigh Vallimont (1.088)

Hits: Tolmie (46)

Home runs: Kelsey Alexander (8)

RBI: Alexander (20)

Innings pitched: Grace Lehto (83.1)

ERA: Madelyn Wallace (3.79)

Strikeouts: Lehto (99)

Notes

One thing that is evident about Central Michigan is that they can hit. The mantra for Central Michigan is to score a lot of runs and make games into a track meet. The only downside to that strategy is that all of the emphasis on hitting comes at the expense of the pitching staff. Central Michigan has given up 23 home runs as a team, four more than it has hit. Lehto is tied for third in the MAC in strikeouts, but also has given up the most home runs in the conference with 12. 

Series History

Ohio has struggled with Central Michigan and its potent offense over the past few seasons. Central Michigan has won eight of the last 11 meetings, including a game in last season’s MAC Tournament. Moreover, Ohio has lost six of its last seven games in Mount Pleasant, making the task of achieving a program-record win streak even harder.

@mbgoldstein1107

mg126321@ohio.edu