Second Fest weekend receives mixed reviews

Students took advantage of the warm weather for the second weekend of Fests at Ohio University, showing up for Congo Fest Friday and in large crowds for High Fest Saturday.

Congo Fest

Despite the nice weather, Congo Fest drew a small-scale crowd on Friday night, disappointing some party-goers.

Nick Ferguson, a freshman studying marketing, said he expected Congo Fest to be comparable to Mill Fest, but his expectations had not been met. 

Audrey Fausnaugh, a freshman studying special education, said she would wait until house parties along the street grew before going to them. 

“I think we could just sit on the curb and wait for the parties to turn up and then go to a party,” Faunaugh said. 

Logan Meldrum, a senior studying physical education, also said she had expectations of a crowded Congo Fest. She said Fest Season used to be crazier.

“I've been here for four years now,” Meldrum said. “Fest season used to be so much more crazy than it is now.” 

Although Congo Fest didn’t live up to Meldrum’s expectations, she said it was still a good time because of the people she knows who live on the street. 

“If I didn't know anybody on Congo, I feel like it wouldn't be that fun,” Meldrum said. “But all my friends live on Congo, so it's the best time of my life.” 

Alaina Krajewski, a freshman studying communications, participated in the fest at her sister's house on Congress Street. She said she believed the parties would get bigger as the night went on.

Sean Givler, a freshman studying political science, and Nolan Arent, a freshman studying environmental geography and outdoor recreation education, said they believed the parties would be bigger on Saturday for High Fest. However, they said it was still nice to come out after a day of classes. 

HighFest.Jarrold-Grapes-14.jpg

High Fest

High Fest kicked off around 10 a.m. Saturday and many OU students came out to enjoy the house parties on High Street.

Max Masters, a freshman studying biology, said Phi Kappa Psi started around 11 a.m. with a good crowd.

Agreeing with Masters, Ben Fazio, a senior studying psychology, said High Fest had been incredible with the weather and people.

“I enjoy being part of the community,” Fazio said. “Getting to talk to people you normally don’t get to talk to. You know, building the nice community and culture we have here.”

Crowds of people were seen up and down High Street finding parties to go to. Many police officers and undercover officers were also spotted, keeping the crowds and parties controlled. 

Joel Weigand, a freshman studying mechanical engineering, said everybody seemed to be enjoying High Fest, with his fraternity’s party getting bigger around noon.

Weigand said his fraternity, Phi Kappa Psi, had been raising money throughout the afternoon and was hoping party-goers would have a good time.

Alexis Renaud, a sophomore studying business analytics, said High Fest was a lot of fun and that she had been out for most of the day and had enjoyed the sun.

Around 1 p.m., police began going to parties and shutting them down if they were at capacity. Then, around 3:30 p.m., police started shutting down most of the parties on High Street. They effectively kicked out most party-goers during the fest.

@paigemafisher

@kendallkwright

pf585820@ohio.edu

kw229520@ohio.edu