Fresh Finds Friday: Poppy releases her experimental song “Church Outfit,” NF releases fifth studio album, and Melanie Martinez moves away from “Cry Baby” on her new album “PORTALS”

Happy spring, Bobcats. It’s the end of a beautiful week, and you know what the best part of my week is? Listening to new music. With that being said, it's always good to listen to some new tunes throughout the week and going into the weekend. 

While everyone has their favorite genre of music, we’ve made a playlist that will appeal to any mood or preference. Below are new songs that are perfect for walking to class, working out at the gym, sitting around in your dorm or cranking out those last-minute papers. Here are five new songs to get you through the week:

“Church Outfit” by Poppy

Infusing electric pop with some industrial experimentation in sound comes “Church Outfit,” continuing the unexpected trajectory in the career of American singer/songwriter Moriah Rose Pereira, known best by her stage name Poppy, who emerged back in 2016 with her dance-pop EP “Bubblebath,” which started a deeper dive into the world of infusing pop with other genres such as metal and alternative on her work over the pandemic such as “I Disagree,” and 2021’s “Flex.” “Church Outfit”  continues that trend and, as described by Sumerian Records founder Ash Avildsen, the label Poppy is signed  to, says her music  brings “a future where high art and high fashion is a subversion of the highest order.”

“2:30” by Asake

Nigerian Singer/Songwriter Asake returns with a song on individuality and authenticity on "2:30,"  produced by Magicsticks and BlaiseBeatz. It's an afrobeat-styled production that pairs percussion with synths and groovy bass. "2:30"  is the artist's second solo offering of this year after he released "Yoga" at the beginning of this year, which followed up his breakthrough year in 2022 with the release of his debut album, "Mr. Money With the Vibe," in September.

“HOPE (Album)” by NF

Michigan-based rapper and producer NF dropped his highly anticipated album, “HOPE,” last Friday, which marks his fifth studio album that adds to the likes of 2017s “Perception” and 2014s “Mansion.” NF is known for his rapping that features quick-witted bars over beats that consume the listeners in lyrics that “internalizes all the pressures of the world.” Still, on “Hope,” NF has found clarity and almost a sense of peace, “dismissing those same pressures with a shrug.” while also assessing his journey. Furthermore, you can catch NF on the HOPE TOUR, which starts July 12.

“PORTALS (Album)” by Melanie Martinez

Singer/songwriter and producer Melanie Martinez may sound familiar to you; she's the mastermind behind" Cry Baby," which was released in 2015 that had all the dark pop with satiric twists and emotional bites on songs such as "Playdate" and "Dollhouse" also served as her debut album. However, she's evolved away from her Cry Baby days and now found a new method of muse for her music: "A pink-skinned, four-eyed fairy creature that's stuck between Earth and the afterlife." That's featured in the music videos on "DEATH" and is animated to move in visuals for all of the song's visualizers on the album. "Portals” Overall talks about past regression and her past relationship with Oliver Tree, all in an inventive way that reintroduces herself to past listeners and introduces herself to new ones.

“Never Felt So Alone” by Labrinth, Billie Eilish

Labrinth is the artist behind hits such as “Mt.Everest” and the mastermind behind the hit HBO Max series “Euphoria’s” soundtrack. Now he teams up with Billie Elish on his new record “Never Felt So Alone,” which, while featured in the show “Euphoria” in Rue’s special episode in Season One, hasn’t been released till now on streaming platforms. “Never Felt So Alone” flutters with the production Labrinth is known for that mixes bass drums and synths with the addition of Billie Elish, whose overall career focuses on the music of this particular topic making the two-year wait for this release worthwhile.

@destroyertroyer

wt005221@ohio.edu