Ohio University junior Imani Brown competes in the long jump event at the Cherry Blossom Invitational at Ohio Univeristy's Pruitt Feild on April 15, 2023.

Track and Field: Ohio hosts Cherry Blossom Invitational, recognizes graduating seniors

Ohio took on its first home meet of the season this weekend. It was a bright and sunny day in Athens and many teams traveled to compete among the cherry blossom trees. Ohio competed in several events, and there was a special senior recognition for those graduating this spring.

Autumn Mohan, Madelyn Bartolone, Alyssa Christian and Stephanie Pierce were the four seniors recognized at the beginning of the meet. They were honored and congratulated by fans and their coaches.

The first running event for the Bobcats was the 3000-meter steeplechase. Freshmen Jenna Razavi and Sara Doughman had participated in this event once prior to the meet but still had strong finishes. Both led their heat and stayed close to each other, finishing second and third, respectively, with times of 11 minutes 27.98 seconds and 11 minutes 37.69 seconds. 

The 1500-meter was an exciting race for Ohio with Kenna Loveless, Carina Weaver, Sarah Liederbach, and Bartolone all competing. It was a very competitive race, and Bartolone finished first with an impressive time of 4 minutes and 42.82 seconds. Liederbach finished close behind in second place with a time of 4 minutes 45.47 seconds. Weaver got fourth place and Loveless finished seventh. 

Another senior that had an incredible last home meet was Pierce. She finished in second place for the 800-meter at 2 minutes and 10.84 seconds. This was her second-fastest time this season and she moved up to third in the Mid-American Conference after the strong performance.

Long jump and pole vault are events that Ohio hasn’t competed in often this season, but it got to show off its skills this weekend. Kassidy Betzing finished in second place jumping 5.51 meters, which was a personal record. Taniah Stephens placed sixth with 5.04 meters. Michaela Frey finished fourth with a mark of 3.20 meters in the pole vault. 

Three Bobcats competed in shot put, discus and hammer. Mohan finished third in the shot put with a mark of 13.76 meters and Millie Ryan finished fourth with 12.57 meters. Mohan also placed fourth in discus while Jordan Baith and Ryan followed in fifth and eighth place. Mohan and Baith grabbed seventh and eighth in hammer, with throws of 45.86 meters and 44.69 meters, while Ryan threw 36.17 meters.

kf875121@ohio.edu