Peering into student opinions on marijuana legalization

As the unofficial, highly anticipated weed holiday of April 20, or 420, rolls around, many students at Ohio University have different opinions on the legalization of marijuana in Ohio. The use of recreational weed in Ohio is illegal and is considered a minor misdemeanor and can result in a fine; however, Athens decriminalized possession of weed, resulting in a zero dollar fine for minor misdemeanor offenses regarding marijuana.

With recreational marijuana now legal in 21 states in the U.S., the conversation is becoming more popular than ever. According to a study done by Boise State University, legalizing marijuana can potentially reduce trafficking and violence related to the drug and can bring in significant tax revenue.

While there are many promoted benefits to legalizing the use of marijuana, such as access to safer means of purchase and diminishing the negative stigma behind it, there are also many things people tend to worry about, such as secondhand smoke and addiction. While many people are on the fence, students at OU mostly support legalizing weed, mainly to obtain it and use it safely. 

Jack Zwiezinski, a freshman studying journalism, said if weed is to be legalized that it should be used safely and in moderation.

"I don't really have an issue with it," said Zwiezinski. "I think sometimes I notice things and I'm not a huge fan of them, I'm like, 'Oh, it seems a little too often or too frequent,' but I think here and there is completely fine."

Zwiezinski believes that it should be legal for the sake of safe usage and that if Ohio is to legalize it, there should be precautions or rules set in place.

"I think we're just going to see more and more honestly," Zwiezinski said. "I mean, we're coming to a point where it's almost completely destigmatized … it's being seen less as a drug, I feel. I'm seeing less of a negative view and I'm seeing a lot less of the, 'Oh it's a gateway drug,' so I think we're going to see a lot more weed in the future."

According to the CDC, about 18% of Americans used marijuana at least once in 2019, and it is the most commonly used federally illegal drug. With its widespread popularity, it's bound to be a topic of conversation for many people, especially young adults in college, looking for that ever-so-amazing, movie-like college experience. 

Talia Meade, a junior studying wildlife and conservation biology, said the conversation about weed is generating newfound popularity and making others more comfortable talking about it, as opposed to more people using it.

"I don't know if it's necessarily being more commonly used. I think it's just more talked about, which I think is great," Meade said. "I think it's just getting more attention and people are realizing like, 'Oh, there is a community out there that is talking about this' and things like that."

A sense of community and a safe space to talk about legalizing marijuana is a good start for many, Meade said, especially when there has been a negative connotation surrounding the use of weed for so long. 

"I'm not an expert," said Meade. "I think it should be legalized just because if it's not people are going to be using it anyway, so why not allow for it to be used in the safest way possible?"

Madison Burick, a freshman studying early childhood education, shared her opinions on using recreational weed.

"Personally, I don't agree with it," Burick said. "If you're around me, it really doesn't bother me as long as you're not pressuring me to participate and stuff. It doesn't really bother me if they use it."

Despite personal opinions on marijuana use, Burick still believes it should be legal for safety. Those who want to use it should purchase it safely from a dispensary and not have to fear any substances being laced. 

"I think if you legalized it, it could become a lot safer with how it's getting laced and all that," Burick said. "I think if it was legalized you would actually be able to prevent that issue a lot more."

With students at OU appearing to have a generally positive attitude toward legalizing marijuana, the conversation has become a more comfortable one for many who might have feared judgment and negative stereotypes. Overall, these students say to smoke safely, especially this 420 Day. 

aj205621@ohio.edu

abbyjenks18