Weekender Briefs: New theater and music to witness this weekend

Friday, April 21

Artists @ Alden Student Exhibits will be held at Alden Library at 30 Park Place all day. A student-run exhibit program hosted on the third floor of the Frederick and Kazuko Fine Arts Library will focus on the strengths of grassroots art organizing. The event serves to promote student creative works that are in various stages of completion. This event will continue until the following Sunday.

Attendance: Free

Public Telescope Night at Ohio University Observatory is from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. at The Ridges on 174 Water Tower Dr. Hosted by Ohio University astronomy faculty and students, visitors may see lunar craters, Saturn’s rings, Jupiter, Mars, star clusters or galaxies. The event will be canceled if the sky is cloudy or stormy.

Attendance: Free

Vibrancy Theater Presents Yerma will be at Forum Theater on 19 S. College St. Starting at 8 p.m., the production will consist of a woman in a passionless marriage who would like to have a child, watching her deal with community and gender norms along the way. Directed by Ally Poole, the show consists of students in the College of Fine Arts. 

Attendance: $10 for general admission, $7 for seniors, $5 for students and $7 for non-students

Saturday, April 22

Make a Harvest/Gathering Basket will allow attendees to learn how to weave baskets with handles with materials included. Located at Ohio University Chillicothe at 101 University Dr. in Bennett Hall. The event will be from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Visitors are asked to bring lunch.

Attendance: $57

Earth Day Parade will be held at the South Green basketball court for those interested. Hosted by the Office of Sustainability, the parade will start at the courts and end at Baker Center. The parade will be from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m.

Attendance: Free 

Athens Reusable Bag Collection Drive will be held at the Athens Farmers Market from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., located at 701 E. State St. Attendees are asked to bring extra clean and dry reusable bags to be redistributed in the community. 

Attendance: Free 

Sunday, April 23

Johanna Amaya Conejo Percussion Recital is happening this Sunday, starting at 2 p.m. Hosted by the College of Fine Arts and the Ohio University School of Music, attendees can witness the work of Johanna Amaya Conejo as she debuts her graduate percussion recital. The event will be located in Glidden Hall at 3 Health Center Dr.

Attendance: Free 

Click Concert will be held in Glidden Hall at 3 Health Center Dr. Hosted by the College of Fine Arts and the Ohio University School of Music, the composition department will be presenting their Click Concert for attendees. The event starts at 8 p.m. 

Attendance: Free

Baileys Beautification Day is from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., held at the Chauncey-Dover Park Trail on 8433 W. Bailey Rd. in Millfield. Registered volunteers will participate in brushing, and shaping the trail to promote drainage and rock armoring. Attendees should wear long pants and closed-toed shoes.

Attendance: Free

gk011320@ohio.edu

@grace_koe3