Culture staff provides advice about BSO, college life

Just as the weather gets warmer and school is let out, all incoming freshmen at Ohio University are hit with the quick reality that college life is on the horizon with Bobcat Student Orientation, or BSO. With the program being mandatory for all incoming undergraduate students, almost all Bobcats can relate to those pre-orientation jitters that come with pulling into the Convocation Center and checking in. After all, this is the first time it hits many Bobcats that they are actually college students.

No matter how prepared someone can be for BSO and college life as a whole, retrospect is usually beneficial when reminiscing about what could have been done differently. Luckily, some members of the Culture staff have compiled a list of advice they would give incoming freshmen.

What’s something you wish you knew before BSO?

Abby Blose: BSO leaders have been in your shoes! I was super anxious about making the move from high school to college, but BSO leaders are there to help — they went through the same thing! They might just be the best resource when it comes to answering questions.

Grace Koennecke: I wish I knew that I'd be scheduling my classes there and how that process works. It's very overwhelming being in a room with everyone who has the same adviser, as well as not knowing how to use OU’s Student Center for the first time.

Sophia Rooksberry: The orientation leaders are there to help you, and everyone there is probably just as nervous and excited as you are. You’re not alone!  

Gabrielle Cabanes: It’s okay to hang out with people from high school if they make you feel safe! 

Where is your favorite spot to study?

Katie Millard: Anywhere sunny in the library! I get a little coffee and enjoy the view and quiet. 

Grace Koennecke: Alden Library! I'm literally always there on the 4th floor in particular since it's relatively quiet and I like to sit by the windows and look outside!

What is your favorite thing about OU?

Abby Jenkins: The campus atmosphere. Not only is it a beautiful place to be, but it is full of beautiful people as well. 

Hannah Campbell: The sense of community on campus. OU may seem like a bigger school, but everyone gets to know and support each other. 

McKenna Christy: The friends you make here will truly become family!

What is your favorite tradition at OU?

Katie Millard: How early everyone wakes up (for) Homecoming to celebrate!

Grace Koennecke: Rocky Horror Picture Show at The Union every year is probably one of my favorites!

Maia LeClair: Halloween!

Abby Jenkins: Pumpkin the cat!

What advice would you give to incoming freshmen?

Gabrielle Cabanes: Be yourself!

Ankita Bansode: Be different! Don’t follow the crowd, be unconventional, don’t be afraid to stand out and always leave an impression! 

Katie Millard: Join something!! Clubs and organizations are great ways to meet people on top of classes and the dorms. You can always ask someone to grab coffee or dinner—everyone’s looking for friends too.

Abby Jenkins: This experience is what you make of it, be open to new things, be spontaneous and remember to take care of yourself before everything else.

Sophia Rooksberry: Take a deep breath and enjoy every second of your first year, it goes by fast!

Grace Koennecke: Please just be yourself! This isn't high school where you have to conform or hang out with the "cool kids." You will find the right people by being yourself in the long run, and you should never censor your personality or interests in order to fit in.

Hannah Campbell: My advice is to get out there and be social! Everyone is just as nervous as you are, and you will make lots of friends in no time.

Tate Raub: Take whatever time you need to find yourself! It’s not talked about enough, but please do whatever you need to do to take care of yourself and get to know who you are. You don’t always realize how much you need to figure yourself out until you do it.

Abby Blose: Step outside your comfort zone! College is a fresh start, so don’t be afraid to try new things, even if you end up not liking them!

Maia LeClair: Be open to anything!

McKenna Christy: Do not compare your experiences or feelings to others! Everyone is on their own path, and you will settle in eventually on your own time.

@alyssadanccruz

ac974320@ohio.edu