Cutler Hall on Ohio University's campus in Athens, Ohio.

OU holds 2023 undergraduate commencement Saturday

Ohio University undergraduate commencement ceremonies were held on Saturday at the Convocation Center. The ceremonies were held at 9:30 a.m. and 2 p.m. and included all academic colleges. 

Saturday morning

Ohio University students from the College of Business, College of Fine Arts, Russ College of Engineering and Technology, Scripps College of Communication and University College graduated at The Convo, Saturday.

OU President Hugh Sherman began the ceremony by welcoming and congratulating the graduates for their accomplishments and hard work.

“Today we're celebrating not just your academic accomplishments, but your journey ahead, and now you will venture out into the world and each of you will find your own path in our ever-changing world,” Sherman said. “As bobcats, you have the skills and determination to tackle whatever challenges come your way.”

Sherman then proceeded to introduce the undergraduate student speaker, Sarah Ladipo, a student trustee and a Charles J. Ping Cutler Scholar. 

In her speech, Ladipo discussed her studies abroad and how much she learned about the world through her experiences at OU. 

“It's time to unleash our full potential and turn our collective dreams into tangible realities that transform lives and communities,” Ladipo said. “Let's be the driving force behind a better world. One that's filled with hope, love and equality for all.”

Following her speech, Sherman introduced this year’s keynote speaker, David Collins, a 1989 graduate and co-creator and executive producer of the show “Queer Eye.” 

Collins’ speech mostly pertained to the importance of balancing anxiety with confidence to be able to chase one’s dreams after graduation.

“Confidence, I believe, is what breeds success … It's what I learned here in Athens, Ohio, and Ohio University, and it's guided me all these years,” Collins said. “Confidence is trusting your gut, trusting what you're great at. It's trusting what resonates in your soul.”

Collins ended his speech by congratulating the graduating class and telling them to “slay the house boots down.”

After Collins spoke, Executive Vice President and Provost Elizabeth Sayrs thanked the outstanding faculty for their dedication to the students and for preparing the graduates with the skills and knowledge they need to make a difference in the world. 

Sayrs recognized the students graduating cum laude, magna cum laude and summa cum laude by asking those with honors to stand at their seats. 

Continuing with the ceremony, the graduates’ names were then read by their respective deans before they walked across the stage to receive their degrees. 

Saturday afternoon

Ohio University undergraduates from the Honors Tutorial College, Center for International Studies, Patton College of Education, College of Health Sciences and Professions and College of Arts and Sciences received their official status as alumni Saturday afternoon.

Cynthia Calhoun, a member of the Board of Trustees, began the ceremony by welcoming ROTC’s Advancement of the Colors, along with OU’s Select Vocal Ensemble singing the national anthem.

OU President Hugh Sherman congratulated the last of the undergraduates during his welcome address.

“As bobcats, you have the skills and determination to tackle whatever challenges come your way,” Sherman said. “And now, as you continue on your own path, I want you to remember that you will forever have a home at Ohio University, and you will always be part of the bobcat family.”

Sherman introduced graduate Sarah Ladipo for the second time that day to speak about her empowering traveling and experiences in foreign countries during her fourth year.

“Let us leave here today rejoicing and proclaiming the new hope we will be bringing to the world,” Ladipo said. “Class of 2023, the world is eagerly waiting for the impact that you’ll make.”

Sherman then introduced Mike DeNoma, a 1977 graduate, adventurer and one of the world’s leading emerging market bankers, who spoke to the graduates about confidence and career success.

“Know and sharpen your strengths and build a sparkling career you’ll love,” said DeNoma.

Executive Vice President and Provost Elizabeth Sayrs thanked the faculty of OU and the guests that supported the undergraduates’ success during their time at OU.

Sherman conferred the degrees of the graduates and introduced the newest class of bobcat alumni. The respective deans of each academic college, handed out degrees to the graduates, concluding the graduation commencements of Spring 2023.

Paige Fisher and Suzanne Piper contributed to this report.