Get to know Ohio coaches

Ohio University is home to many great sports teams that have seen lots of recent success. From a Bowl Game victory in football to multiple MAC championship games, the 2022-23 sports season was thrilling for Ohio sports fans. Each of these teams is led by great head coaches who will be returning to their respective teams for the upcoming season. 

Here’s the story behind some of Ohio’s best coaches:

Jeff Boals - Men’s Basketball 

Jeff Boals will be entering his fifth season as basketball coach for one of Ohio’s most successful programs over the last few years. Boals was a 1995 Ohio University graduate and former team captain of the team. Boals led the team to its first and only NCAA tournament since 2011 during the 2020-21 season. Not only did Ohio reach the tournament for the first time in almost ten years, but it also pulled off an upset over the defending champion Virginia, which is one of the school’s most memorable sports moments. 

OHIOvsBuffalo_Cranfill17.jpg

Jeff Boals cheers after a win at the Ohio vs. Buffalo game in The Convo in Athens, Ohio, on Feb. 14, 2023.

Tim Albin - Football 

Tim Albin, Ohio’s head football coach for the last two years, returns in 2023 after being named MAC coach of the year in 2022. Albin led the team to the MAC championship game and an Arizona Bowl game win last season and will look to win another bowl game in 2023. Albin was formerly Ohio’s offensive coordinator under legendary coach Frank Solich from 2005 until being named head coach in 2021.  

Tim Albin
Photo taken by Eli Burris.

Craig Moore - Baseball 

Craig Moore just wrapped up his third full season as Ohio’s head baseball coach after taking over as interim in 2020 and being named head coach in 2021. Ohio last won the MAC in 2017, Moore was then a part of the team as the assistant to Rob Smith. In his first year of coaching, Moore led the team to a 28-25 record. 2023 was the first time in Moore’s head coaching career that the team did not have a winning record. 

Baseball.Miami38.Beach.JPG

Ohio coach Craig Moore takes notes during Ohio's game against Miami at Bob Wren Stadium on April 14, 2023. | Photo by Ashley Beach 

Jenna Hall - Softball 

Jenna Hall is one of the newest coaches on campus after her first season last year. In her first year, Hall won MAC Coach of the Year and led the softball team to a 32-23 record that included an appearance in the MAC championship game. 

KS_VanVlack06.jpg

Jenna Hall celebrates during a game against Kent State at Ohio Softball Field on Tuesday, April 11, 2023.

Geoff Carlston -Volleyball 

Geoff Carlston returned to Ohio in 2021 after leaving the team to coach at Ohio State in 2007. From 2003 to 2007, Carlston won 64 consecutive MAC matches. With such an impressive stretch, Carlston owns the highest winning percentage against MAC opponents in the history of the conference. In those five years, Ohio won five MAC regular-season titles and was ranked number 13 in the nation in 2007. 

Volleyball.Pamarthy
Bobcats Head coach Geoff Carlston talks to the team during a timeout at the game against the Toledo Rockets held at Ohio University in Athens, Ohio on Sept. 25, 2021.

Aaron Rodgers - Women’s Soccer 

Aaron Rodgers will be entering his tenth season as the women's soccer coach at Ohio. Rodgers won MAC coach of the year in 2021 in a year when the team finished tied for second in the MAC. In Rodgers’ first two seasons, the team has been recognized with academic awards twice, and nine players received MAC all-academic awards during his second year. 

coach.jpg
Ohio University’s head soccer coach, Aaron Rodgers, yells from the sidelines during the home game against Miami on March 4, 2021 in Athens, Ohio.

Bob Boldon - Women’s Basketball 

Bob Boldon will be entering his eleventh season as head coach of the women's basketball team, which makes him one of the longest-tenured coaches at the university. Boldon has the most wins in school history with 185 and counting. In 2015, Boldon was named the MAC coach of the year after winning the MAC Tournament.

ou.v.wm35.jpg

Ohio coach Bob Boldon on the sidelines during the team’s game Feb. 16. (FILE)

@robert_keegan

bk272121@ohio.edu