7 organizations to join as a freshman

Beginning college can be a scary and intimidating thing. It is a new chapter of your life that is in your hands, from start to finish. Besides doing well in your classes and possibly finding a job, joining a student-led organization on campus is a great way to meet new people and find new interests. You may feel overwhelmed at first, but going to a few introductory meetings for the organizations that jump out at you will only benefit you. 

Although these are only a few of the many organizations that are offered at Ohio University, here are seven that may spark your interest: 

Greek life 

Yes, this is an obvious one, but joining Greek life at OU will open you up to all kinds of new opportunities. You will meet new friends, develop new relationships and make new connections. Sororities and fraternities aren’t for everyone, but they can be life-changing for some. 

Here is the Link to sign up for recruitment, which is Sept. 1-4. 

Business fraternities

There are only a few business fraternities on the Athens campus, but they all help to foster leadership, professional and business skills among their members. In addition, you don’t have to specifically be a business major to rush all of these fraternities, only a few of them require its members to be part of the business school. This is also a great way to meet new people both socially and professionally. 

OHIO Women in Business

This organization attracts young women in business to instill all of the tools necessary for a successful career. They do this through philanthropy, workshops, networking and more to create dedicated and motivated individuals. Those in this organization will have confidence when they enter the workforce post-graduation.

Alden Book Club

If you are a book lover and would like to continue reading and discussing different novels in college, this is the perfect club for you. Each month, the Alden Book Club meets to discuss the book assigned for that month. This can help you to not only gain new perspectives on a novel, but you might also meet a new friend or two. 

American Medical Student Association Pre-Med Club

If you are on the Pre-Med track entering college, this club is a great head-start into thinking about medical school. This organization develops its members into impressive applicants for medical school through its many workshops and events. You will also be able to meet new people that share similar classes to you and similar career interests. 

hOUme 

This organization is for students from a foreign country or having direct relations with anyone who has declared permanent residency in the U.S. from a foreign country. It promotes diversity and inclusion for these students and serves as a comfortable place for them to go. 

Through organizational dinners, philanthropic activities, speakers that provide information on immigration and citizenship, plus ways to connect families with medical, monetary and other kinds of help, this organization is a great way for international students to become acclimated in a new place.

Ohio University Society of Professional Journalists (OUSPJ)

While there are many student-run newspapers and magazines in Athens to become a part of, this organization is also a great way for aspiring journalists to network with professionals in and outside of OU, learn and practice the highest ethical standards and meet many high-profile visiting speakers. There are also opportunities for leadership roles, which can help you to learn endless life skills and is great for your resume. Overall, OUSPJ is a wonderful way to become involved on campus and will open many doors for your journalism career. 

These are just a few organizations that are offered here at Ohio University. There are so many that you can find here that meet the needs and interests of nearly every student. If none of these are appealing to you, keep researching and putting yourself out there until you find where you belong.

@gracebrezine 

gb194519@ohio.edu